My Grand adventure, that is owning an IDI.. (new-ish member)

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
So back in August, I started my adventure. Never having owned, worked on, or even looked closely at a Diesel before. I went in search of one. Farm had an 87 supercab on CL for $675. I bit. Running, she sounded like silk, but typical air intrusion hard starts. Fix that, then I go to the -cuss DMV, who has completely f*&$'ed the paperwork up on it. After two months, over $500 in bogus fee's, and a partial refund from the PO (who is an amazing guy) I officially own the truck. So I used it to move to Vegas. Overloaded the crap out of it, and after blowing tires and breaking suspension on the trailer several times, I make it to the Tahachapi pass. Trans overheats, burns the front main, vomits fluid... WOOF! Fire dance! Luckily Got the fire out before it did more than minor damage.

Since I have been lurking here since I bought the truck, I call up Dragrag for the C6 he had in the market. He stays up until midnight (or was it later?) for my brother in law to pick it up on his way through. My friend and I, we figger ish just a trans, we'll just shove it in on the shoulder. So, we fix the melty return/vacuum lines, get her running.... Buuuut, this was a dirty old ranch truck, sooooo after breaking several sockets, knuckles and a wrench on the side of the road. We gave up on the transmission. At which point, we come up with a crazy plan to daisy chain our AAA tows and get the truck to my new house. Surprisingly that actually worked. So then we rent a uhaul to tow the trailer. Make it about 3 miles and stop for a strap check. Got back into our vehicles, and a Semi hits the trailer going about 50. (missed the chase car by inches) Disintegrated the trailer, and my supra that was on it. :cry: Bent the frame of the Uhaul, and slashed up the box. LUCKLY! The trailer absorbed most of the impact, and no one was hurt. Not even a bruise.

By this time, I still need my truck. But am so pissed off, and impatient, I got dumb. I didn't pull the T/C off and mount it on the trans first. See, in the 13 years or so I've been putzing with gassers I never bothered, and it was never an issue. Well, there is a reason you do it like that... and today when I pulled the trans back out of the truck, I got reminded why. So now I am cleaning out, and replacing the pump on a rebuilt C6 with 10k or so miles. :mad:(the internals are brand new!!!) and ordering a new T/C -cuss aaaand the adventure continues......

All in all tho, mostly due to everything I've learned lurking here, I'm glad my first Satan fueled vehicle is both a ford, and an IDI.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome, and uh, well, thats a helluva story.

Need to see photos of the truck (and the Supra)!

I also have an IDI and a Supra...

Ryan

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
Glad you got your truck home and noone got hurt! Crazy trip for sure!

blackflag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After what you've been through there is nothing these old trucks could throw at you that you couldn't handle!

DragRag

Reaction score
Get that trans and truck back on the road! Your a blessed man not getting killed that day! Accidents with trucks are not a good thing.....

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you are in the lead for the "biggest balls of them all" award.;Sweet
there's something about that stretch of highway 58 east of the Tehachapi pass, that brings all travelers bad luck. Me included. About once a year I'm out there with my carrier retrieving some stranded buddy or customer. One time, some dubass vato attempted to rob me and a friend who I was towing. He was out there waiting for roughly 12 hours for me to show up with the truck. I'm in the process of winching the car up onto my deck and this ******* pulls up and shows my buddy his gun. He starts laughing hysterically. A puzzled look takes over vato boy's face. Vato boy figures he'd better leave while he can and does. I finish loading the car as my buddy is calming down. He tells me, " with all I went through today....that's all I needed to happen! besides, I know where you keep all the guns in the cab, we would be burying his worthless ass in the desert." You got that right.;Sweet

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah - if I'm ever going to stop and help someone on the road late at night or in the middle of BFE, gun will be attached, locked and loaded.

That is a crazy story - I hate breaking down...

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glad no one got hurt. sucks about the vehicles but metal is replaceable - flesh not so much ;Sweet

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Ok, long week, but here are some pictures of the Supra (they're old, lost most of my photos in a comp crash this summer:mad:) Then there is the cleanup. And some from the trenches of the war on transmission.
One funny thing that happened. The same fire crew responded to the accident, as had responded to the the Truck's engine fire. I walked around the corner of the Semi's trailer, and they're all just shaking their heads at me..
;Really "Man, NOTHING goes right for you does it?"

Hate how you can just barely see the aluminium quad cam 4.6 I'd shoehorned into her in the pic. -cuss Never got to drive it!

I think you are in the lead for the "biggest balls of them all" award.;Sweet

I dunno about that, Certainly LUCKIEST balls to be alive tho.

Attachments

• 000_0251.jpg
    000_0251.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 000_0253.jpg
    000_0253.jpg
    529.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_0218.jpg
    100_0218.jpg
    523.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMAG0112.jpg
    IMAG0112.jpg
    479.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMAG0115.jpg
    IMAG0115.jpg
    633.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMAG0381.jpg
    IMAG0381.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMAG0382.jpg
    IMAG0382.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMAG0383.jpg
    IMAG0383.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 14

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Damn, and I thought my memorial day weekend was rough. I have to ask, how did that accident come about? Was your trailer in the road? Or was the trucker a *******? How is it being handled?

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
We stopped for a strap check on the trailer, (I was driving chase at this point) pulled waaaay off. Snugged a strap, discussed where the next stop would be. Got in the cars, and he hit JUST as I closed my door. We hadn't started moving again yet. In fact my buddy in the Uhaul hadn't even gotten his seatbelt on yet.

Our opinion, and given the CHP's screaming at the trucker, theirs too. Was that he was just a *******. Uhaul is currently ****** his company for damage to their truck, but pretty much told me to **** off. I have to deal with his insurance on my own for the car/trailer/and all the crap therein. Unfortunantly the truckers insurance still hasn't gotten back to me. Thin I'ma have to get a lawyer next... yay.

DragOne

Reaction score
wow, one hell of a moving story. I feel for ya....I have been moving for a few months but more north. Break downs, blow outs, finding where your rig is lacking kind of stuff. But, NOTHING like your weekend. That hurts. Good to see you well.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
well, it's been over for a while now, and thanks to friends and CL free section, most of the essentials I lost are replaced. I still get pissed when I think about my supra, and chills when I remember watching that truck slide by (it was just suddenly RIGHT THERE)

But now is just paperwork left to clean up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online