My friend's 1974 1310 Turbo IDI build!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the story on the fuel tank (or tanks again)? Rusty watery crap in the filter is usually a storage issue......... tank.

It's the 1st place I'd start.

Heath

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with Heath on this one, all that crap the filter is collecting is coming from somewhere, and really there is one place it can be coming from. , At the very least drain and drop and inspect the inside if the tanks - tho to be honest I'd be very tempted to just install all new tanks if available, I'm just not a big believer in the DIY internal coatings (or in my abilities to apply them).

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't Get New Tanks. IPut On A PRe-Filter That Its Catching All The Heavy ****. And ThreW On Another Spin On That I Had Laying Around.. I Cleaned The Tank Out Before Install. I Guess Not Enough!

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which filter is dry, the one up on the tower behind the alternator, or the prefilter down on the frame? Remind me again what fuel pump you're running, factory mechanical or aftermarket electric? The mech pump can move some thick soup, so unless it's dead (indicate by full prefilter before it but empty tower filter after it) then you got suction issues. What did fuel pickup look like inside the tank, is its some sock that can clog up easy or is it just a wide open piece of 3/8" tubing?

On a side note, truck being diesel means you can have fuel tanks on outside of frame rail - and with a flat bed you got space for them easy, I'd be very tempted to ditch the contaminated factory tank and run something made for medium-duty trucks.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Which filter is dry, the one up on the tower behind the alternator, or the prefilter down on the frame? Remind me again what fuel pump you're running, factory mechanical or aftermarket electric? The mech pump can move some thick soup, so unless it's dead (indicate by full prefilter before it but empty tower filter after it) then you got suction issues. What did fuel pickup look like inside the tank, is its some sock that can clog up easy or is it just a wide open piece of 3/8" tubing?

On a side note, truck being diesel means you can have fuel tanks on outside of frame rail - and with a flat bed you got space for them easy, I'd be very tempted to ditch the contaminated factory tank and run something made for medium-duty trucks.

The factory gasoline tank was outside the frame from the factory...just saying. LOL

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mmm. Diesels Don't Like Fuel That Looks Like That

You must be registered for see images

:eek: That would do it. X2 on a new tank but a new tank won't necessarily solve a water in fuel problem which is what that looks like to me. Might be worth draining the tank and finding the source of the water.

I guess the moral of the story is water injection only works well at the intake.

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New Fuel Tank, Filter And AllNewLines. No More Fuel Starvation. But I Feel I May Have Damaged The Already TiRed Pump. Talked To Mel Today And I Guess You Can Say THE MOOSE IS LOOSE!

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought you said they don't make new tanks for these trucks, so what did you use instead, a small ****** tank? Either way good to hear the problem has been solved. When you got some time to kill how about splitting the old tank to see exactly *** was going on inside it?

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought you said they don't make new tanks for these trucks, so what did you use instead, a small ****** tank? Either way good to hear the problem has been solved. When you got some time to kill how about splitting the old tank to see exactly *** was going on inside it?

"New" tank is an aluminum 47 gallon transfer tank/toolbox. It came in the back of Jons 7.3 dually the guy had it plumbed into the filler neck of the ford tank. So we know its fine.

I used air brake fittings and 3/8 air line as fuel line. IH used air line as fuel line from the factory back then. So no more fuel starvation. Still runs doggy compared to my n/a rollback with same gearing. I'm going to order a moose this week.

I scored big time this weekend. I traded a frame from a 71 IH 1 ton for a blue point injector pulse adapter! Now I can time these pigs!