My first idi build up for review.

19684x4

Reaction score
I plan on putting the hole drivetrain out of a 1988 F-350 4x4 in to my 1968 F-250 4x4 its drive train is failing but the rest of the truck is in great shap. The 1988 pickup seams to be in good shap except for the frame (broke in several places) and the cap is shot. It has not been started in 5 years. I went and got it today after checking all the fluids and a good bat it srated right up withonly 10 secs. of cranking. it runs really good with a little white smoke. i will check the compression on it befor i pull the motor so after reading all i can on this site for the last several weeks here is my plan for this motor.

1. Dps injectors and pump? I have seen only one bad coment on these and lots of good ones.

2. Type 4 cam. still dont know how to get one?

3. turbo. plan on making my own kit. can i realy run 20 psi of boost if i put good head studs in it and a new gasket?

4. Intercooler out of a powerstroke if i can find a good one.

So this is my plan tell me what everyone think or if there is anything you would change.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DO NOT............ REPEAT............. DO NOT BUY FROM DPS!!!!

If you've only seen one bad comment, you need to look at some older posts and check the "Hall of Shame" at the top of this page. Ken doesn't do good work. Get a Moose pump from Conestoga Diesel.

The rest sounds fine and has been done before, but stay away from DPS.

Heath

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I think the above posting is trying to tell you something very important. Many have tried the DPS products. I actually helped Ken design the 7.3 studs and installed the first set in my build way back in 2005. They were H13 material and looked so nice. The breaking strength was 270,000 psi...:eek::thumbsup: I ran them for 5200 miles till I lost a freeze pulg on my new engine. Melted everything. Reinstalled them in the re-rebuild and found a broken stud in my driveway and another one stuck on the motor mount. So I installed the ARP studs that Typ4 intraduced to us. They are doing fine with many thousand miles on them boosting to 13 lbs regularley too. They are 220,000 psi studs 7 inches long. About 3/8 inch longer than they need to nbe but fine too.

19684x4

Reaction score
Thanks for the dps tip. i se that now. the arp stups are so expensive are there any that are close?

19684x4

Reaction score
I cant do the moose injecors right now not in the buget. are the moose pump withe the delphi bb injectors worth the money if i dont have to completly rebuild the motor i can get them.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DPS NO

BB's and Moose YES
Turbo..self built kit...been done...some good ones...others well ya...sometimes people should stick with kits...rofl

Now your driveline won't line up well...the diesel trucks springs are wider than the old trucks....including the front diff...it's going to be a problem for you.

You'll likely have to get a 78/79 D60 for the front diff to work well...since springs are just too narrow.

good luck with the build....

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan on putting the hole drivetrain out of a 1988 F-350 4x4 in to my 1968 F-250 4x4 its drive train is failing but the rest of the truck is in great shap. The 1988 pickup seams to be in good shap except for the frame (broke in several places) and the cap is shot. It has not been started in 5 years. I went and got it today after checking all the fluids and a good bat it srated right up withonly 10 secs. of cranking. it runs really good with a little white smoke. i will check the compression on it befor i pull the motor so after reading all i can on this site for the last several weeks here is my plan for this motor.

1. Dps injectors and pump? I have seen only one bad coment on these and lots of good ones.

3. turbo. plan on making my own kit. can i realy run 20 psi of boost if i put good head studs in it and a new gasket?

4. Intercooler out of a powerstroke if i can find a good one.

So this is my plan tell me what everyone think or if there is anything you would change.

Definitely NO on the Dps garbage. Also any ideas on what kind of turbo you want? As for boost, there are quite a few guys running 20+psi without problems. Some even have stock compression and just studs. Some of the guys running higher might suggest a cam that bleeds off some dynamic compression to offset the boost or you can lower the static compression a bit too. I will say it is debated quite a bit how high you can safely go but from what I have seen most think 15psi is safe and 20psi too as long as it is intercooled.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score

Well, first step is to PM Type4 (Russ) and ask him. Seriously he's a nice guy to deal with.

As for the ARP head studs? Pay for them, anything else you will be sorry. Especially if you're looking to play at over 15psi.

19684x4

Reaction score
I checked the compression and it broke most of the gauges and hoses i had. I made one out of pipe and a 1000psi gauge but the needle was bouncing from 400 to 600. So i tride my gas compression tester and it bent the needle around 1 1/2 times so around 500 but not real accurate. so i dont think i need to rebuild it. i still plan to pull the heads just to make sure. I may not need to get to crazy with boost with as much torque these have.

89greendiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked the compression and it broke most of the gauges and hoses i had. I made one out of pipe and a 1000psi gauge but the needle was bouncing from 400 to 600. So i tride my gas compression tester and it bent the needle around 1 1/2 times so around 500 but not real accurate. so i dont think i need to rebuild it. i still plan to pull the heads just to make sure. I may not need to get to crazy with boost with as much torque these have.

can you get your hands on a glycerin filled gauge?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online