My first filtration rig... wmo processor

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mentioned about putting a hose to full the trucks instead of buckets. Out of curiosity, how will you keep the bulk tank mixed? I know even my finished product will start to separate after a while.

I only ask because I'm looking at a house with a garage that I want to move my setup into and want jut a bulk tank and a hose also for easy full ups

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suppose you could "T" the nozzle hose and valve it... that way you could open the valve... kick on the pump and let it circulate. I'm still only batching 50 gallons at a time so not that worried about it...

Is something to think about though.

Sent from a pay phone... using Tapatalk v2.0

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even 50 I noticed separation. I recently scored a 75 gallon stainless steel container that is now my clean drum. ( They told me to cut it up with the plasma cutter... Ya I got right on that) I was thinking of putting something like a propeller on a shaft to stir it all up for a minute before I pumped it to the truck

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lucky sob. Lol

That might be something I need to look into as far keeping it mixed...

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Made lots o' progress today...

You must be registered for see images attach

Added some plumbing here.. valve on the left is pressure control... valve on the right will be plumbed to the "finished" barrel... close one valve or the other and use the ps pump to fill the "finished" barrel without needing another pump or more bs.

Something else we decided to give a shot was we plumbed the bypass/pressure valve back into the inlet of the pump instead of just back into the barrel. In theory, it shouldn't cause any issues but will mean that no oil will bypass the 'fuge. We might have to partially close the valve on the bottom of the drum feeing the pump to keep it from backing up.. but we'll see.

For the high pressure line this time, I went with a 48" 1/4npt hydraulic hose from TSC.. premade and $15.. 5k psi working pressure. (Thanks for the idea Josh!)

Anyways, had to order a fitting for my PS pump.. didn't like the rigged ps line that I was using before... so I ordered a few fittings that will let me go straight from the pump (16mm 1.5 pitch) to the 1/4npt hydraulic hose. That should be here Wednesday and will hopefully start my first batch in the shed.

More to come soon
-Chris

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run my pressure relief bypass to the inlet also to eliminate the long hose back to a barrel. I was pleased with it but had to reset the regulator lower. Before I was set at 90psi and when I did the loop to the inlet it jumped to 140.

I did have it going to the outlet tube until i realized I was an idiot and was putting dirty oil back to the clean tank.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol...

I use a ball valve to regulate pressure to the 'fuge... I have it full open... kick on the pump... then close it until I reach the desired pressure. Should work really well for this then.

Thanks man
-Chris

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil is flowing finally... still waiting on the HP fitting for the pump but I've got 50+ gallons to gravity feed through a 2mic. filter.. so no rush on the fitting. Lol

Here is what I ended up with although after using it tonight, I want to change it up as it doesn't work as well as I want it to.

Old SBC pump I used to use for pick-up and the mixing drum

Use the SBC pump to push oil through the 10 mic. filter (mainly used this because I didn't want to buy anymore fittings and I had two different hose sizes.. 5/8" off the pump and 3/4" to the barrel... the filter was 3/4 on both sides but I had a spare 5/8 barb that fit the filter.. so I went with it)

Settle barrel currently full

Gravity flow from 5" stem pipe inside settle drum through 2 mic. absolute Cim Tec filter into the 'fuge drum.

Should be ready to fire up the 'fuge by Friday... planning on a full 20hrs this batch. I'm curious to see if not allowing any oil to actually bypass the centrifuge will make any difference. Still need to mount the pump and filter for the finished barrel that has the nozzle... Should have everything up and running by Saturday for a full test.

More to come soon if all goes well.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm... so the ps pump Ive been using will no longer build pressure. It seems to flow ok but closing the relief valve completely and the pump will only build 20psi... not enough to open the pressure valve on the centrifuge.

I worked with it for over an hour... took it apart and checked what I could... nothing. I got it to flow and flow decently but no pressure behind it.

I think I'm just going to pick up a new pump and see what happens... one with a lifetime warranty :)

O.. then I had a line fail between my sbc oil pump and the water filter... so I took a bath on wmo. YAY!

Anyways...

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ball valve to regulate the pressure will work but it is not good for your pump if it doesn't have a relief valve. Restricting the flow of the pump will eventually burn it up. The pressure has to go somewhere. If not through the line then it gets backwards.... Not sure if that will make sense to anyone else

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
The ball valve to regulate the pressure will work but it is not good for your pump if it doesn't have a relief valve. Restricting the flow of the pump will eventually burn it up. The pressure has to go somewhere. If not through the line then it gets backwards.... Not sure if that will make sense to anyone else

This is what I was thinking of saying but couldn't put it into words... Try changing some things up before dropping more money.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went as far as running the pump with the original PS hose and funneling oil into the inlet... it was spitting oil up the funnel and out the pressure side but it never produced much volume or pressure.

All PS pumps to my knowledge have a built in pressure relief and I think this one is stuck open... when it was hooked to the drum, it would air lock also even though I had all the valves open and everything vented, it wouldn't let oil flow into the inlet on the pump.

This pump was old/used and in unknown condition when I set it up. I can get the same pump new with a lifetime warranty for $40 at the parts house... will probably go that route.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
If you get the sbc or bbc pump, they have a relief port that can be plugged, so you will never have to worry about it again, FYI.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how I would mount and power an oil pump to power the centrifuge. Also, oil pumps tend to weap oil around the pump drive and having to mod another pump case for hose barbs... blah! Lol.

The PS pump worked great up until moving it to the shed.

I'll know tonight as I ordered the new pump and it'll be in this afternoon. I also plan to delete the filter between the mixing and settling drum as its not really needed and is slowing oil flow quite a bit.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to be a smartass but, is the PS pump turning the correct direction.
My system is not as advanced but I use a PS pump, kinda had a similar problem at start up....????