My first filtration rig... wmo processor

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually ran it in both directions last night just to make sure. I have everything mounted to a board so nothing changed as far as that goes but I switched the directions for giggles last night and it wouldn't flow at all.

Sent from a pay phone... using Tapatalk v2.0

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I figured out my problem with the pump...

I installed the new pump and threaded the fitting in until snug (didn't bottom out) and it built great pressure but it was leaking at the fitting. Snugged it up more and more until it bottomed out on the pump.. no more leak.. and no more flow or pressure. ***.

Pulled the fitting back out and looked at the pump.. the fitting had pushed a small internal part of the pump deeper into the pump body. I was able to drive it back into place from an access on the other side of the pump. I ended up cutting down the new fitting I had as apparently it was entirely too long. Now with the fitting cut down, its working great.

Excuse the mess... but here is how its plumbed..
You must be registered for see images attach

Anyways, so then I got in a bit of a hurry and ended up overfilling my settle/gravity feed barrel... so come tomorrow after work, I get to spend the evening cleaning up the large mess I now have.

I hate first runs/test runs of a new setup as you guys know, there is always gonna be a mess no matter how well thought out. Something is gonna go wrong or need to be changed.

Hopefully I'll start running the 'fuge tomorrow night as I get things cleaned up and organized.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another beautiful weekend... so made a lot of progress.

Built doors for the main area of the shed (still need to build one for the loft).. I think they turned out decent.

Got the pumping station all mounted up and plumbed...

Wired the shed for permanent power... switched power for the 'fuge pump

Holding 85psi with ease... return feeding into pump inlet so nothing bypasses the centrifuge.

Centrifuge drum vent ran outside... still need to vent the other 2

One of the two new tanks in position behind the shed

Pump nozzle mounted outside the shed which easily reaches the alley in the back

'fuge pump plumbed to fill the pumping station barrel

All that's really left to do as far as the workings goes is to plum the large storage tanks straight to the mixing barrel so that it can be pumped directly in. I also need to snug up a few fittings as some oil is weeping from the threads at a few connections. Also planning on dropping some 10/2 in the ground from the breaker box in the house to the shed because as of now, its all being ran on a 12awg ext. cord laying across my back yard.

Anyways, more to come as this project winds down.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed a little bit of the plumbing tonight... added a recirculation valve to the pumping station drum... that way if it sits for weeks without being pulled from, move 2 valves and kick on the pump.. it picks up from the bottom of the barrel and returns to the top. Let it run for a few minutes to mix the barrel back up and switch the valves back... ready to fill the tank with no worries of separation in the drum.

Just needs a few clamps (ran out) and a 90* 3/4 hose barb. Its getting close!

Ya know... I sure am glad I'm friends with most of the local PD because this contraption could certainly be mistaken for a **** labLOL

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was gonna say you might get a visit from the new ATF, auto, truck, & fuel, agency.
This looks really good Chris, if you could a vid of all this running would be great.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can probably do that... got a few things to finish up first. I also need to source another motor to run the centrifuge pump. My current motor's start switch is shot so it requires spinning up by hand to start which defeats the purpose of having it on switched power.

I also need to fix a few weeping fittings.

So far, we have just over 13hrs through the centrifuge on this batch. Once everything is going, I plan to run every batch 20hrs. Excessive perhaps, but I'd rather go overboard then sludge up my new fuel system.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Small update...

20 hours on the 'fuge and pumped into the pumping station barrel. The fill-rite DEF rated pump doesn't seem to mind the w80 at all. I primed the pump and cracked the recirculation valve and let it flow for a bit, then gave the nozzle a try. I ended up deleting the filter that the pump was pulling through and I am very impressed with how it all worked.

This morning, we had to make a few hundred mile parts run... pulled my friends 93 ext cab long bed f250 up in the alley... filled the front tank from empty in under 5 minutes.. just as fast as the pump at the fuel station as far as I can tell.

I also managed to plumb one of the tanks behind the shed to inside so that it can be pulled from directly.

This project is slowly but surely coming to an end.
-Chris

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
That's looking pretty sweet. Makes me kinda wish I had a shed I could dedicate to my WMO projects! I bet you're going to be glad when it's all done though.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^
You have no idea how ready I am for this to be finished completely so I can stop spending so much time on it... lol I decided the shed was a safe bet just to get the near 1k gallons (storage cap.) of oil away from my garage which I do a good bit of fabrication in.. sparks, etc and large amounts of combustibles just don't mix... plus the garage is too close to the house... one wrong move and I would have lost both. Much cheaper in my case to just build a small building away from everything incase something goes sideways.

Anyways.. it is getting very close to being done. Structure is complete... now just little things. I insulated the building today to make it a bit more comfortable in the hot/cold months. I also scored some OSB for cheap to finish out the inside. I built the loft door and insulated it a bit and found that its just enough room to store my project parts for the multiple vehicle projects I have going at the moment... out of the weather, the way, and locked up.

I'll get a few more pics up tonight if I remember. Now I just need to track down some siding for cheap which I may have a lead on that too. As soon as this project is finished, I'm breaking ground on my pole barn addition :)

-Chris

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are a few pictures... not much to show though...

Old motor died... so got another motor that actually starts on it's own... lol

Insulation... very quiet inside now.. and should hold in heat come next winter

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that you've been using this for a while, how are the fumes???
Guessing most of the time the doors are open, but just curious.
While back someone mentioned the fact that using RUG could be dangerous, fumes and all.
Looks good...!!!

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the barrels are vented to the outside and sealed inside... I haven't noticed any fumes unless I'm mixing a batch and even then its not bad at all.... which I get headcahes pretty quickly around any fumes so I was pretty adamant about venting everything to the outside.

So far everything is working great.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol... I had that problem in my garage too which I do a lot of light fab in there as well... welding and grinding next to barrels of stinky flammables... not such a good idea. :p

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If he's really worried about catching crap in his suction line, maybe he could try using a strainer for a hryraulic oil tank suction line. :dunno

EDIT- I didn't fully go through to whole thread before I said this, it isn't really germane anymore. -EDIT

Last edited: