My '89 is dead, what's happened?

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parked it a couple days ago, all was well. Today I turn the key and nothing happens at all. Batteries are still fully charged. I can see that the rod along the top of the steering column is moving as I turn the key. I'm starting to think that the big switch on top of the steering column down under the dash has failed. How can I test that idea? and is there an easy way to access that stupid switch? It looks like a huge pain to get at.

This is my '89 brown crew cab that I use regularly. It's always something, but somehow it's never something good.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Is it a tilt column? If it is, there's a U shaped piece of metal in the key linkage that'll break, you can still key on sometimes but the throw isn't long enough to run the starter.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is a tilt wheel. Will that u shaped thingy shorten the throw so much that there's nothing happening, as if the key hasn't been turned at all? How do I get at that?

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first few seconds of that video show him pushing the rod down with pliers to start the truck. I'll try that in the morning, and if it works, I need to replace that u shaped bit. If it doesn't work, I'll probably need to replace the switch.

Thanks!

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Ive replaced three of them in the last ten years.
They aren't expensive and you can still get them from ford.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
If the rod thing is broken, the ignition switch will feel floppy/loose in rotation.

It could also be your starter relay/solenoid.

If it's automatic transmission, it could be the neutral safety switch. Put in neutral instead of park and try.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking it's the battery cables. They'll get nasty corroded in the lead lug and you'll have batteries charged, but the juice don't flow.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I turn the key, nothing happens. It's as if I hadn't turned the key at all. I think that rules out neutral safety switch and starter solenoid.

I'll double check the cables, but I repaired them when I put the engine back in, should still be good a few months later.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Double check that you have power at the start solenoid on the passenger fender. Thats also where are the fusible links are that feed literally everything on the truck

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, good thought, I hadn't checked there, Nero. This morning I took a pair of pliers to that rod. It does NOT move independently of the key, I cannot push it farther than the key does, and the key does not feel floppy or lose.

I'll check for volts at the starter solenoid, and if none, I'll get an ignition switch on order.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Check fuse 18 under the dash. Should be a 15a fuse, it runs the cluster and stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online