My 7.3 is Back on the Market...

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After some consideration I've decided to re list my truck on Craigslist.
The price is lower, there are 4-new tires on it and as some know, I fixed the oil cooler.
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/car/610926987.html
If you know of anyone that may be in the market for a GREAT running truck please let them know, I hope another Ford IDI lover will purchase and continue to pamper it as I have. It will be dearly missed.
Thanks Ray

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ray, you should sell it at or after the IDI Weekend rally. It's your best chance of not having to go that far to re-live the good times you had in Bowmansville.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ray,

You mention its time to treat yourself to a new one in the ad, whats on the menu?

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For some reason I thought you sold it on the last go-around.

Tom

True Tom, this time last year it was on the market. Back then I got the numbers/offers I was looking for but it was difficult to let go of something that treated me well since day one. My biggest fault is, I do fall in love with my vehicles, harleys, boats.
The love/hate relationship I now have is...I still love my truck but hate the price of fuel! I'll never work this truck, and never really did. To use it as my daily driver simply makes no sense. Due to the price of fuel I did lower the price, and I also have 4-new tires on it.
A good home I would hope it goes to.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ray,

You mention its time to treat yourself to a new one in the ad, whats on the menu?

Well, I will always need a truck of some sort just no need for a 3/4ton. I'm thinking a 1/2 ton 6.50 bed F150 scab that burns regular grade gas.
If the diesel itch bites me again (it never left) then much later I'll look into the F150 4-cylinder diesel from Ford...but NOT until they get ALL the bugs works out which could take years! And, I'll have to justify the price of fuel.

One things for sure as you all know, these older IDI's are GREAT engines. No computers, sensors or check engine lights going on all the time. No bs codes or drama...treat them well as I do and they return the favor and keep running strong.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ray, Have you considered brewing your own fuel? I recently went through the math, and found that it would take several years to ROI a newer more fuel efficient vehicle. My mom asked me if I would like a new car that gets high fuel milage for my birthday. (yes I have a great mom), so here is what I told her. I drive 110 miles a day. I get a low average of 16MPG. It takes just under $30 in diesel at todays price to get me to and from work. That's $150 a week in fuel. Forgetting all those vacations and what not, that's x 52 weeks a year for a total of $7800 a year in fuel costs. Now a vehicle that gets say 32MPG, by the same formula will cost me $2943 a year, for a difference of $4856. Now, if I brew my own biodiesel at .70 a gallon, my yearly cost for a 15MPG truck is $1334. That's a savings of almost $6500 a year over regular diesel, and still $1600 cheaper than buying gas and paying for a new car. If I switch to gasoline power, I have no option to stop paying the arabs. At least if I stick with diesel, I can become independent if I try really hard.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ray, Have you considered brewing your own fuel? I recently went through the math, and found that it would take several years to ROI a newer more fuel efficient vehicle. My mom asked me if I would like a new car that gets high fuel milage for my birthday. (yes I have a great mom), so here is what I told her. I drive 110 miles a day. I get a low average of 16MPG. It takes just under $30 in diesel at todays price to get me to and from work. That's $150 a week in fuel. Forgetting all those vacations and what not, that's x 52 weeks a year for a total of $7800 a year in fuel costs. Now a vehicle that gets say 32MPG, by the same formula will cost me $2943 a year, for a difference of $4856. Now, if I brew my own biodiesel at .70 a gallon, my yearly cost for a 15MPG truck is $1334. That's a savings of almost $6500 a year over regular diesel, and still $1600 cheaper than buying gas and paying for a new car. If I switch to gasoline power, I have no option to stop paying the arabs. At least if I stick with diesel, I can become independent if I try really hard.
I don't have the space available for such a setup or the time to dedicate for doing so. Just a small one car garage my Vette lives in, my Harley is in the ground floor basement and the boat takes up the back yard. (Townhouse)
.70 a gallon for fuel ahhhhh yes I remember those days and when it was even less! .51 a gallon in 1988 ;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have the time or the space either, but considering the money I'll save, I'll just call it a second part time job.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well, I will always need a truck of some sort just no need for a 3/4ton. I'm thinking a 1/2 ton 6.50 bed F150 scab that burns regular grade gas.
If the diesel itch bites me again (it never left) then much later I'll look into the F150 4-cylinder diesel from Ford...but NOT until they get ALL the bugs works out which could take years! And, I'll have to justify the price of fuel.

One things for sure as you all know, these older IDI's are GREAT engines. No computers, sensors or check engine lights going on all the time. No bs codes or drama...treat them well as I do and they return the favor and keep running strong.

F150 with a 4cylinder diesel? I heard that ford is trying to put a small V8 diesel, like 4.4 liters or something (300hp and 550ft lbs of torque or something like that), but never heard about a 4cylinder diesel.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe the F-150 was going to have the baby stroke in it, which I guess Ford decided to pull since the 6.0 and 6.4 haven't been doing well. I see International is offering it in their trucks here. Interesting that they have decided to give their engine a brand name now. I guess they didn't appreciate how the powerstroke name was going to carry until now. A 4 cylinder in the F-150 would make more sense, as long as it gets great fuel milage. It's hard to win a horsepower war when their is a fuel economy war going on at the same time. My Ford dealer says he just shakes his head appologetically when he sees his 6.4 customers coming in. Those poor saps are getting 10-12 MPG. Totally unacceptable on a platform that is 25 years advanced over our ancient IDI's that are getting almost twice that in some cases.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if switching to a gasser is a great plan either. My theory is that the war has created a more-than-normal demand for diesel, driving the price up.
About the time we switch over to gassers, the war may be over and diesel prices will be on a par with gas.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm afraid the war will never be over. Also the extra refining required by the 2007 emissions standards may permanently keep the price higher than gasoline. Its also the ultra tough emissions standards that are killing mileage on some of the newer diesels. Personally I think even the 6.9/7.3 and especially any computerized diesel is plenty clean running on B100 or some blend of biodiesel and ULSD.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I believe the F-150 was going to have the baby stroke in it, which I guess Ford decided to pull since the 6.0 and 6.4 haven't been doing well. I see International is offering it in their trucks here. Interesting that they have decided to give their engine a brand name now. I guess they didn't appreciate how the powerstroke name was going to carry until now. A 4 cylinder in the F-150 would make more sense, as long as it gets great fuel milage. It's hard to win a horsepower war when their is a fuel economy war going on at the same time. My Ford dealer says he just shakes his head appologetically when he sees his 6.4 customers coming in. Those poor saps are getting 10-12 MPG. Totally unacceptable on a platform that is 25 years advanced over our ancient IDI's that are getting almost twice that in some cases.

I dont know about the 6.4's. Like you said, there fuel economy isnt the greatest. With that being said, my parents truck has over 5000 miles, and it gets about 14mpg on the road to and from town (my last fill up was 14mpg as well LOL, but I was on it all the time, I'm slowing it down now). The best I've seen it do was 17.5mpg on the computer doing 60mph on flat land.

I've heard guys take of the DPF's (diesel particulate filters), and add a programer to them and can get into the 20's mpg. I'll have my parents do that to it once the warrenty is up. By the way a Spartan 210hp tune and dpf delete will net a 6.4 at about 500hp and 860ft lbs of torque to the rear wheels, yes thats what I think I'll have my parents do LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin