My 7.3 is Back on the Market...

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, currently the "DPF delete" kits run about $3K (at least for my buddies '08 Dodge) and you have to sign a waiver saying it will never be used on a public road. I know all aftermarket stuff that affects emissions carries the "not for use on public roads" warning, but it doesn't require a signature. And 3 grand. Let's see, that's an ATS billet 5 star converter and new TCM for the tranny just so you can run 500 hp and 800+ lbs of torque without being stranded due to a grenaded transmission. Unfortunately, the days of cheap horsepower with todays increasingly complicated (and expensive) engines, are dwindling fast. The good thing is the power wars aren't over yet. The flip side may be what you see is what you get without much room for improvement. The nice thing is there are dedicated hot rodders out there that make it their mission to modify and re-engineer everything that comes off the assembly line. The more R&D it takes to develop it, the more it's gonna cost you to have it.;Really

You get to a point where you have to ask when is enough enough? My LBZ puts out more power in stock trim than I can ever get out of one of my IDI's. For a little more than the price of a DPF delete kit for a new '08, I can almost double the power of my '06. I can still only do 75 mph legally on the highway and you have to be in the muscle car category to take me from a stoplight. So what's the point?

The other day I was getting on the highway. The ramp was a little over 1/4 mile long and uphill. I'm just tootling along and out of nowhere this little VW beetle comes screaming up to me and tries to pass me on an on-ramp! I found out in a few minutes that it was a TDI, which is a pretty sporty little car. The lady was quite pissed when she had to slow down as we entered the freeway at 90+mph and she was losing her little "challenge". Now I'm thinking I may need more power if a TDI VW can take me by surprise.:rotflmao. Get out the checkbook and be prepared.

If I keep my foot out of it, I can get 20+ MPG. I've gotten as high as 23 MPG with the cruise set at 60-65. Getting back to what Mel brought up, you are taking a big risk with running bio in a new engine. I don't know about the others, but my owners manual states under no uncertain terms that running bio voids the warantee. That's a pretty expensive decision. Homebrewed fuel has to be extremely clean when being pumped at 30,000+ psi thru the new IP and injectors. I would love to run it in my IDI's, but like Mel said, I don't have enough hours in the day for another part-time job. Necessity may force me to that as well for the IDI's. However, I'm probably at the mercy of big oil for a while if I want to fuel my DMax.

Tom

Last edited:

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Mel have you done the math to see how many hours a year it takes you to make bio fuel for the year? Also what do you do when you have to pay for your WVO?

OK Back on topic(sorry Ray)