My 1978 Bronco IDI Build

bronco78idi

Reaction score
I have been building a 6.9 IDI for the past year and half. The motor is almost ready to be put together. I am going to video my teardown and rebuild. I have a YouTube Bronco IDI where I am going to start the complete teardown and rebuild. I will post info and picture as well here. I will have as much detail as I can on my build. I am building this for me. What is it going to be used for you ask. Whatever I need at the time I need it. I am not a rock crawler guy, but I have done it when I needed to, I am not a mud slinger, but I sling mud when needed to. I use my Bronco as a tool and I take care of my tools. I have been in Wyoming in the middle of winter hunting, Colorado, Idaho, and Rubicon Trail, Beaches, Baja California Dunes and the salt flats of Utah. I have always felt the Bronco is a Great off-road vehicle. I am the first to admit it’s not a Jeep; But a Jeep is not in the Bronco Class!

What I have done to the engine so far.

Block
Line Board
Decked
Balanced Rotating
Cryo Rods, Piston Pins and Pistons (milled piston for balanced deck height prior to coatings)
Tri-Coated Pistons (seal Power)
Dry Film coated Main and Rod Bearings (Clevite 77)
Crank Nitrided
Total Seal Rings
R & D Stage 1 Cam

Heads
New Valves –Ceramic coated face
Intake Valves (Perfect Circle)
Exhaust Valve (Stellite)
Comp Cam 910 Springs
4 angle Valve grind
Harland Sharp Custom Roller Rockers
ARP Head Stud

Misc.
Victor Rienz Complete gasket set
R & D Custom Intake

You must be registered for see images attach

Waiting for the bearings to come back from being coated

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool build, I am just finishing up swapping a 6.9 into my 79 F150 4x4... Build thread is on here, and I'd be happy to help if you need any since my truck (short bed) is pretty much the same as your bronco frame wise. What transmission are you putting in it?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your bronco a ifs or solid front axle? I almost bought a UPRR bronco from their surplus yard this week. what kept me from buying it was the fact much of the critical sheetmetal was "ripped" from booniehopping on the tracks and ties. i don't see too many solid front broncs anymore.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your bronco a ifs or solid front axle? I almost bought a UPRR bronco from their surplus yard this week. what kept me from buying it was the fact much of the critical sheetmetal was "ripped" from booniehopping on the tracks and ties. i don't see too many solid front broncs anymore.

He has a Dana 44 up front and is swapping his built Ford 9"and is putting in a Dana 60. He is also gonna put in 8 lug hubs up front as well.

bronco78idi

Reaction score
I need to stop reading about custom parts. I talked to Mike at R & R Racing Products. Looking into some custom rods with large wristpin's.