more tranny problems

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
okay so i replaced the clutch, pressure plate, tob not long ago. Drove fine for a while, then i put my dad in it. My dad tends to like to shift low and bog the engine down. Now the tranny makes this wierd cliking noise, sounds like tapping on a clutch plate out in the open, or putting something plastic into a box fan and letting it tap. Tranny place in town told me that it was the front input bearing inside the tranny cost 70 bucks at stealership cause those are the only folks that seem to have it. anybody else have experiance or opinions cause i don't tend to trust dealers and mechanics like that, been taken on one to many rides.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's very rare for there to be a "special bearing" they just don't know the industry part number. My bet is it's a standard metric (nearly all ball bearings are metric) single row ball bearing with one or two seals, available at any bearing jobber.

obinella

Reaction score
if it does it in gear, clutch depressed,engine running and the truck at a stand still, the input shaft is not rotating and should not be contributing to the noise.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
when letting off the clutch or holding it in
Well, that rules out the input shaft bearing. input shaft isn't turning while you are holding the clutch in.
That leaves the throwout bearing or the pilot bearing.
For either one the tranny is going to have to come out so might as well do both.
Do yourself a favour and spend the few extra bucks and get the kevlar pilot bushing and ditch the factory pilot bearing setup.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
should have mentioned this guys but it only does it when the clutch is held in if you are rolling If you are at a standstill it won't do it

OK now, clicking, and rolling, and clutch in???
Are we positive that this noise is coming from the transmission area?
Driveline noises are a funny thing. they have a bad habit of transmitting along the entire driveline to the point where you happen to be sitting. This could be a Ujoint getting ready to fold.

I still think the tranny place is full of manure. input shaft bearings generally dont click, they growl and grind, and unless you spent an insane amount of time idling while parked on a very steep incline, chances of loosing an input shaft bearing are pretty slim.

It sound like you need to get this thing securely up on four heavy jackstands or a lift if you have access to one, get a mechanics stethethiscope and start trying to narrow down exactly where that noise is coming from

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
okay here is the results, dmf is trash all of the springs aren't even tight in the slots and one is almost broken into, input bearing seems fine cause input shaft doesn't wiggle side to side. input shaft has one small grove that you can barely feel when running your fingernail along it. It's right at the end of where the input shaft rides on the pilot bearing. I think i'm gonna go to a smf but my question is do you have to buy a conversion kit to go to a smf. The parts store said that you had to buy a conversion kit and a different clutch kit. Truck has an 11 inch clutch and they said that you cant run an 11 inch you have to go to a 12 with an smf

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online