MORE SMOKE!!!

6.9forddiesel

Goin' Green
Reaction score
i was wonder if i could get more smoke then what i have now i just love smoking people out if you know what i mean

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
If you really want to know do a search. But if you do you will likely find that I think that is a waste......

Thad

Redneck

Canadian
Reaction score
yeah, I love giving uppity spandex warriors a snootfull of diesel smoke, I make a habit of downshifting as I pass them.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, I love giving uppity spandex warriors a snootfull of diesel smoke, I make a habit of downshifting as I pass them.

Unfortunately thats where a waste of fuel is in the smoke that is unburned and making soot and giving diesels and their drivers a bad name. It is also what helps make for tighter emission regulations that make for low sulfur diesel etc.

Don't get me wrong...smoke can be good too but all in perspective and when it doesnt waste fuel:rolleyes:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I won't give you the thing about smoke is wasted fuel because well frankly I like to 'moke 'em and got a ticket to prove it....

the more fuel you put into her the more she will smoke.

Have you turned up the injection pump yet?

I will give you a word of caution that when you are rolling smoke your EGTs will rise quite quickly so just keep an eye on them and don't let them hang out at the upper end for too long - you can in my opinion blow past the magic number of 1250 degrees but don't hang out there for too long - a min or so at most then back out of her and let her cool some. I know that when I'm rolling the coal that my gauge doesn't read high enough and is pegged at 1500 on the needle. But it's fun because when that is happening automatic headlights behind me are turning on in the board daylight - ;SweetLOL

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pour a few gallons of diesel in the bed of your truck and light it, same difference.....
JwS

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I am 19 and love to roll smoke just as much as any youngster with a diesel but i have realized after owning this truck for three years, paying for diesel and watching countless buddies blow their engines it isn't really worth it. You can get tickets, I have gotten a warning and I have a buddy that got wrote a 5 or 600 ticket because he thought it would be funny to fill a state troopers cab with smoke. It does waste diesel and it does make your egts skyrocket, and it does wear the engine more than neccesary so if you want to do it be aware of these problems. That said ill get off my soapbox and actually help you

Lots of guys have at one time or another wanted to know how to adjust their Stanadyne DB2 fuel injection pump on an idi 6.9 or 7.3 diesel engine. It isn't really difficult to do, but I recommend not messing with the stock setting unless you have a pyrometer. It doesn't take much to overfuel a stock naturally aspirated engine, often with disastrous results.
Safety as always is important. On that note, probably the first thing one should do would be to disconnect the batteries, to ensure there is no power to the pump, or at least remove the wires so that if/when you rotate the engine, it will not start. The adjustment screw lives within the pump, but can be accessed through a little door on the passenger side of the pump. It is triangular in shape, and is held in place with 2 small bolts, and a gasket underneath to seal it. It looks like this.You will want to have either a shallow dish or a bunch of rags under the pump when you remove the plate, as about a pint of diesel fuel will spill when the plate comes off. The next thing to do is to turn the engine to align the adjustment screw internally. This can be done one of two ways that I know of. 1. You must put a large socket (15/16'ths) on the bolt on the front of the crank pulley. Rotate the engine till the timing mark on the vibration damper is at about the 1 o'clock position as seen from the front of the engine. This should line up the insides of the pump so that the adjustment screw will appear in the opening behind where the cover plate was on the pump. Since the crank turns twice for each one rotation of the injection pump however, you may get the timing mark to the 1 o'clock position and still not be able to see the adjustment screw inside the pump. It would look like this. (A small dental type mirror may help to see inside the pump here because of the angles etc)... If you look in and cannot see the adjustment allen screw, you must rotate the engine 360 deg. or one full rotation clockwise, till the mark again lines up at about the 1 o'clock position, and then you should be able to see the screw, and it should look like this. The other way to align the pump, is to take the cover off of the front of the injection pump cover housing. Inside this is the bolts that hold the injection pump timing gear onto the pump. There is also an alignment dowel. If you rotate the engine till this alignment dowel is at exactly the 12 o'clock position, then the adjustment screw will be visible through the opening behind the cover plate. Here's a pic of the opening and the dowel, but with the gear-to-pump bolts removed, and the dowel is at the 4 o'clock position instead of the 12 o'clock. Ok, now, all that is required is to get a good quality allen wrench which fits the adjustment screw(5/32) in size. The adjustment screw has locking threads, so make sure you have a good wrench, 'cause you don't want to damage this one or drop little bits of metal shavings inside your pump. To increase the fuel setting, it is generally recommended to go in small increments. Usually 60 deg. rotation, which is about the same as turning the wrench one flat, or 1/6'th of a turn. Clockwise will increase the fuel setting, counterclockwise will decrease the fuel setting. Put the cover plate back on, being careful not to overtighten the little bolts, replace the wires on the pump, and go for a run to see how it goes. Don't forget to watch that pyrometer!! Good luck with it.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
i also love rolling smoke mine rolls lots out, and were i live there is no such thing about giving tickets to people for rolling smoke, in my personal opinion diesels are suppose to smoke!!! i have growed up around farm/ logging equipment and they all smoked black smoke

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
More Useless Smoke= One step closer to our rigs getting Govt rediculous govt regulations

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
More Useless Smoke= One step closer to our rigs getting Govt rediculous govt regulations

Yup, all that has to happen is the wrong person ( i.e. gvmnt type )gets a passenger compartment full of smoke and next state legislative session, you've got new testing regs up for a vote ( and just about nobody's bills get turned down on the state level once they've been brought up , they all want everyone to vote for their stuff, so they vote for everyone elses stuff, it's lame, but life). or worse, mandatory retrofit of new emissions systems on older trucks like seriously high dollar particulate traps, urea injection systems, etc that will all make your truck run like trash and consume insane amounts of fuel.

I lived through the mandatory retrofit add on emissions systems for gas burners out in California in the 70s . What a disaster that was, and it was all due to the folks who refused to get their cars a basic tune up on a regular schedule, so then everyones older car had to run like crap detuned with the stupid little NOX boxes.

If you've just gotta watch that cool swirl of smoke coming out the stack, do it out on the open highway where it's less likely to tick off the wrong person ;Sweet

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sad but true. I never fog because I like to stretch my fuel, but diesels already get too much bad press as it is.
Instead, I like to get the EGTs and boost pressure up on the weekends to clean things out.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Unfortunately thats where a waste of fuel is in the smoke that is unburned and making soot and giving diesels and their drivers a bad name. It is also what helps make for tighter emission regulations that make for low sulfur diesel etc.

No,Re-Electing the same idiots and voting for a party over and over and over and over again is the reason for it.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
i have growed up around farm/ logging equipment and they all smoked black smoke

Probly because they where all old, poorly maintained, wore out machines. There is no need for diesels to smoke anymore. With advances in engines and computers smoke is a thing of the past. Cat has (had? not sure if its still goin in trucks) the C18 rated at over 700HP and some absurdly high torque number that does not make one lick of smoke.
Instead of smoke, go for proper tuning and loud exhaust;Sweet

Ken

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Ken,you forget.Todays diesels are all computer controlled.Ours ain't.With outs to make the most power it HAS to smoke.You will be overfueling at lower RPMs but once it gets wound out and the manifold pressure builds it will clear up and have the right mixture.That is why older diesels smoked.