More Questions Before Trip

travelinman31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Planning a trip to Arkansas pulling the fifth wheel TT, and need to make sure things are up to ***** with the truck. First question is if I add an aftermarket oil pressure gauge at the factory port (without putting a t to keep factory gauge) will my oil pressure idiot light be illuminated all the time? My oil pressure gauge doesn't show me anything and I'm adding one before we leave. I'm also going to install a pyrometer, I'm fairly sure I understand where to put the probe in the manifold at or near #6 and #8, but when taping the hole do I need to worry about the metal shavings (truck is not turboed)? Is there a way to test a pyrometer before installation? Are the probes the same for all brands of pyrometers (I realize there is a difference like J type and K type) but are all K type the same and work with most gauges?

I have found 4 gauges from local Craigslist. They are Autometer Pro Comp, oil pressure (electric) with sender, water temp (without sender), Pyrometer without probe, and Boost gauge (which I don't need right now). $100 for all, new k type probe is $65 at local auto parts store, so I would basically be getting oil and water for same price as I'd pay for new pyrometer, I have a cheap aftermarket temp gauge now but the Autometer should be an upgrade.

One other question, I'm gonna be checking everything over in the next couple of days, if the tranny is low on fluid (t19) would you drain and refill or add to it. I have no idea what is in there so not sure what to top off with? Same question for rear end? I'm sure I'll have more questions and apologize for asking so many in one post. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
You should use the oil port on top of the engine behind the intake. You will lose the needle but the red engine light will not come on, that is a different sensor.

Your exhaust will blow out any shavings just fine, no worries being N/A.

I guess you could hook up the pyro on a bench and run a heat gun past the probe to see it work.

Sorry, I am not well versed on the probe fitments.

I am waiting to see what others recommend for your fluids. Changing to a synthetic would be best. In a pinch, I would top off with what the owner's manual suggests and change over at earliest conveinence. Good luck and pardon any spelling, its pretty late on the east side of the states.