more gauges

pafixitman

Reaction score
With Christmas coming up and the fact that I will bill my MIL for "pain and suffering" :D I am thinking about finally getting my center console built.

I have Boost, EGT, tranny temp, oil pressure, water temp and volts.

I would like to add vac, oil temp and considered a water pressure gauge so I could spot any cooling problems. I cannot find a water pressure gauge. Would an oil pressure gauge work?:confused:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
the short answeer would be yes but it would be at the bottom end of the range. the systems only pressurize to 12-14 psi IIRC, but with a liquid pressure is pressure it might actaully read "faster" because of the lower viscosity of the coolent compaired to oil.

how would a water pressure gage show a problem? if a gasket blows the cap should bleed off any extra pressure to keep the system balanced.....or would it drop from air pockets?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It might have saved Icanfixall when his freeze plug blew out.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I cannot find a water pressure gauge. Would an oil pressure gauge work?:confused:

What about a fuel pressure gauge?
It should be the same concept liquid versus liquid and should get you in a good pressure spectrum.;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks Mell..... What I have been toying around with is the water in fuel switch. If it were installed in the thermostat housing it would tell you when the coolant level is just starting to get low. Pressure is also a good idea but fluid in the system is more important I think. Now how would you set up a wif switch to only lite up and flash when you are loosing coolant???

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it might be better to just use a "Low Coolant" sensor? M-B had a setup like this even in the early 1980's, with the sensor being located in the expansion tank. I tend to agree that the thermostat housing would be a better place for something like this, but I'll bet that the M-B setup could be readily applied...

Worth looking into IMHO :) You can't have too many gauges and warning lights...

gandalf

Reaction score
I have a water pressure gauge for my house water system, for the city system. It simply screws onto a hose bib. It could be adapted. IIRC there is a 1/2 inch NPT plug on the top of the water pump. Getting the readout into the cab might be another matter. Also, my gauge measures my system at 75psi. I don't recall what the lowest reading is. But, it would seem to be a possibility.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you can get a water pressure gauge from a marine outlet like West Marine. I can't remember the range for these gauges.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I feel like these are some very good ideas. I'm particularlly interested in the M B low coolant sensor. Time to go-a-hunten in the pick a part.....:D

Neal J. Moran

Reaction score
Try Overton's for an outboard water pressure gauge. They come with the tubes and "Y" connectors.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Joe

I think Ron had the right idea...a fuel pressure gauge. Possibly plumb it in the top middle of the pump. Not sure if that port is a good place to read pressure though. If I recall that is a good "temperature mixing" point for water supply and return.

Tom

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
ford also used them in the ******,tracer in the 90's, the low coolant light that is. if you didn't need the block heater could it be used for something?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Block heater loaction for a low coolant sensor is kinda low and it wouldn't give you much time to stop and repair whats leaking. Actually the top of the radiator would be the best place but then again maybe the thermostat housing would work too.