Pillar Post Gauge pod // survey

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the wife took a nap on me today or else I would have fired off this 19 month project.
20 months? This also accommodates the periodic loss of interest.
So. . .
Around here somewhere in my collection I have a 4 gauge pod to stuff into the left corner.
I figured, Oil Pressure, Water Temp, Trans Temp and EGT. Boost gauge? My **** can tell me if that is working. My large desire is for a sterile appearance without drilling holes in the dash, etc.
Opinions?
I am also considering an oil pressure light/buzzer so if the oil goes to zip, the light comes on and the buzzer screams at me faster than me looking at a gauge, not to mention the fault indicator light for that Allison toy.
Drawback on the buzzer is every time the key is on with out it running, I will be getting buzzzzed.
Maybe a bypass switch for that noise.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Wire the buzzer to a relay, then wire the relay to switched power.

As for the pillar gauges, I have a 4 gauge pillar, and I went with water temp, oil pressure, boost and egt. My dad put a 3 position in his, water temp, oil pressure and voltage. He is n/a

I didn't have to drill anything for either setup I did.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Allison kit came with a Derale trans line 90/10 thermostat.
90% of the trans fluid goes back to the trans until it gets to 180(?) degrees at which time the cooler gets full flow. The temp gauge on the trans is just cheap insurance. Boost gauge is in the back of my head as the turbo hat was glued down by a PO. The 1/8 inch plug at the top is nicely rusted in and with the hat glued on, not a fun aspect in either direction. If this was running a manual gear box I might have been looking at alternative gear options. such as her Fergy tractor with it's 4 gear boxes.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well ...
If the transmission is overheating you have boost.
Or none awechitt
If the boost slacks off its time to shift.
AKA NO POWER...
Spinning the t.c. (building torque and HEAT) vs Locking the t.c. up for power and doing the job...

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the Allison converter spins in first and possibly second gear. After that it is locked up for the rest of the gears.
The better part of that Allison trans is it is supposed to assist in vehicle braking.
Might be a 'rotten slush box' but it appears to be better designed than the E4OD that it is replacing. as for the manual gear box, this slush box supposedly has a million mile life expectancy. Manual clutch life is how long?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dunno
12v cummins+ could go 200k?
400 b.c. could pull 250-450k easy
But...
And fwiw
In the 70's Allison built Uncle Sam a 23 speed skip gear auto for heavy truck motor pool ( htmp) unloaded it took 3 gears @ once, hauling tanks it took 1 atta time.
You're in new territory for an idi and modern transmission stuff .
My .02 is
Gauges is GOOD

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fun morning begins with 64.7 yr old brain forgetting log in name and password. "New territory". I have a sneaking suspicion way back in my head this might turn into a Cummins somewhere down the road. Maybe.

I have a few other mods that need to get finished first and a few other projects that have been on the back burner far too long waiting this to get done and the weather guesser promised snow for Valentines day.

Now With a lower first gear and 2 overdrive gear ranges that engine might be a lot happier in it's power curve.

I knew if I sat here long enough the brain would finally kick back in.
I need to set this toy up with the Air Brake mechanism and then locate a suitable air brake trailer that I can load out and see what the engine power is with a heavy load. The trailer comes after the hidden bed hitch which, without looking too far, is another $1,000.
I passed the stupid limit Lo-ong ago with this toy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.