Moosestang HIT!

deezlwex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel WHY are you doing the leg work on this? Isn't YOUR insurance co. suppost to work for you? Make them replace the bumper then let them haggle the deal out with GIECO. That's how my insurance co would handle it

Mel, exactly what I was thinking. Back in 1996, when an unlicensed minor HIT me head on in my Wrangler right here in my condo development, MY insurance company (USAA) went after HER insurance company, and even got them to pay my deductible. Not ONE penny out my pocket, and all I did was call them.

Make a claim to your insurance.

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
If Mel is not carrying collision on the Moostang, he will likely get little help from his insurer--they are not at risk in that circumstance.

deezlwex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If Mel is not carrying collision on the Moostang, he will likely get little help from his insurer--they are not at risk in that circumstance

Yep, you're right - never thought of that.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm didn't think of that either, but as I was reading this I was getting fired up for him to call his own insurance company too! You just don't pay em for your "at fault" collisions but for fighting for you in all collisions. I think I would definately give em a call...can't hurt to ask anyway. Wow Mel if you didn't have bad luck, you'd have no luck!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mel-
I have a little experience in dealing with your accident. I've worked as a bodyshop manager for a medium sized shop and as a claims investigator for a large insurance company. Keep in mind that I am looking at your claim from the standpoint of Kali law and it may/may not pertain to your state.
Firstly, the insurance company is obligated to repair your vehicle to pre-accident condition. If you have a vehicle older than five years, they do have the option to use wrecking yard parts. If you believe new parts are the only option, you are shooting for the moon and you will get nowhere on your claim. Best to do is rather than handle this matter yourself, drop off the truck at a bodyshop you know and have them deal with it. They are under no obligation to use the wrecking yard part and can reject it BASED on their professional background. You as a private party won't have the background to stand up in court if ever makes it to that point. More than likely, it will be forever stalled in depositions and discovery. I don't see you being out of line using a wrecking yard bumper and requiring the insurance co. to have it delivered to your place or even to one of the lizard's DRN(direct repair network) shops and have them install it after you have looked over the part. I know you'll fix the truck, unfortunately most people who handle their own claim, just pockets the money and never fix the part that was paid for. Btw....that is insurance fraud when people do that stuff.
My suggestion is find a happy medium between your new OEM and her wrecking yard bumper. Rather than take the check, leave the truck with her and have her shop put it on AFTER your approval of the part. Visually compare the condition such as nicks, scratches and gouges (if any) on the rub pad between your damaged one and the "newused" one. The same goes with the condition of the chrome and if it is bent or not. If you do reject it, be prepared to explain why. lastly, look only for the condition of your bumper before the accident or you will get stonewalled by the insurance company.
good luck!

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yah what he said! The only point I gotta disagree with is the insurance fraud statement. It is insurance fraud if you make a fradulent claim; ie. you say your bumper got bumped and it never happened. It is not fraudulant to take a check from a insurance company for a legitimate claim and choose to either fix your bumper or not. That is why they settle and give you a check. It is your money for a settled legitimate claim, you can do what you want with the check. Just my .02.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yah what he said! The only point I gotta disagree with is the insurance fraud statement. It is insurance fraud if you make a fradulent claim; ie. you say your bumper got bumped and it never happened. It is not fraudulant to take a check from a insurance company for a legitimate claim and choose to either fix your bumper or not. That is why they settle and give you a check. It is your money for a settled legitimate claim, you can do what you want with the check. Just my .02.
eric-
it becomes fraud when you get hit in the same area again later on and claim for another replacement.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, the second hit would be another totally separate claim, another legitimate claim I mean. No fraud as I can see. Adjuster would definately see previous damage though and I'm sure your chance of getting new replacement parts would be out; but still not fraud.

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Mel,
Take the gloves off. Get checked out by a doctor, sometimes injuries show up weeks after the accident. Let then know your in pain.....You should make out on this.
John

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Yeah I agree with Eric here no fraud they are paying you because your bumper got smashed. The money is to replace the bumper and have it back to pre wreck conditions or to live with the fact that your bumper is messed up

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel WHY are you doing the leg work on this? Isn't YOUR insurance co. suppost to work for you? Make them replace the bumper then let them haggle the deal out with GIECO. That's how my insurance co would handle it.

What he said!!!! When a drunk hit our cherokee we tried to work it out because he was a neighbor but when he told the wife her car wasnt worth 2200 she was a little angry and we just let the insurance handle it, Thats what we pay for so kick some butt Mel, good luck.

Russ

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
insurance co's always seem to win. at least thats how it works for me,
and if I recall, they have the option to put used parts on a vehicle, hell they do it on newer ones, hoping for a new bumper paid for by them is just a wish.
at the most they may spend for an aftermarket, but not an oe.
I would take there $$ and leave it be, How much is your time worth to actually sit and fight with them for something you will not get.
just my 2 cents based upon experiance.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I haven't involved MY insurance company for two reasons. One is, yea, I don't carry collision. The other is the CLUE score. That's an industry rating sheet that insurance companies use behind the seens to adjust your rates. Any reportable accident, your fault or not, does something to the clue score. I haven't taken it to the lizards shop (or any other for that matter) for two reasons. 1) - If I take it to their shop, the amount of time involved in getting it there, and getting it back, plus waiting for the rental and all that, and I'm probably out of work for the better part of the day. Reason 2) - It's a DIESEL Bronco. How many guys are going to jump in the cab, crank it and when it doesn't start, start doing things, or reason 2b) - Manual glow plugs. In my mind, the more hands that get involved with this, the more messy it is going to become. My latest idea is to send the lady who hit me a bill for the difference. Gotta run that one past my legal man. :backoff

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Well I haven't involved MY insurance company for two reasons. One is, yea, I don't carry collision. The other is the CLUE score. That's an industry rating sheet that insurance companies use behind the seens to adjust your rates. Any reportable accident, your fault or not, does something to the clue score.

You mentioned in a previous post that she took it to her insurance, correct? If that is the case, your CLUE score has already been informed, sorry to say it, but this system even knows your credit score, and while that makes no never mind to how you drive, if you have a bad or low credit score, you will pay more for insurance.

I haven't taken it to the lizards shop (or any other for that matter) for two reasons. 1) - If I take it to their shop, the amount of time involved in getting it there, and getting it back, plus waiting for the rental and all that, and I'm probably out of work for the better part of the day. Reason 2) - It's a DIESEL Bronco. How many guys are going to jump in the cab, crank it and when it doesn't start, start doing things, or reason 2b) - Manual glow plugs. In my mind, the more hands that get involved with this, the more messy it is going to become. My latest idea is to send the lady who hit me a bill for the difference. Gotta run that one past my legal man. :backoff

Have you taken it to any shop? I would have the Ford dealership you work with give you a quote. I would get three quotes, although 2 is usually enough as you will need them for evidence in a court case anyway. Legally, you will have a tough time getting a new bumper, been there done that, but if possible, try to get her out of the loop with the her insurance company - have them deal directly with you. I wiped out three mailboxes last year in the mule truck, hit an ice patch and went off the road. The owner of said boxes, submitted a bill for $2800 saying I also tore up the culvert in their driveway. My insurance was going to pay it, but I just happened to call them to see where it all was claim wise. At any rate, the wreck was over 1/4 mile from the culvert they said I tore up. In this case, they had eliminated me from the situation as I am recommending you do. The insurance company just wants to settle and any I have dealt with will be reasonable, including Geico. If you have the mentioned three repair estimates I would offer to fax them and ask for a reasonable amount, but I can tell you from my one and only wreck, you will play hell getting new OEM parts for this old of a vehicle. I ended up getting new aftermarket parts plus 25% markup from my accident. My legal counsel (free - was a friend of the family) said to take what I was offered and run as he could not win a case for new OEM parts and he does this for a living. Just my .02 worth.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm not asking them for a new bumper. Only that I can get one without any hassle. The new bumper is my only remedy for being able to pick one up with the conveinence of a gallon of milk. Any junkyard they find one in will NOT be convienent, so they have to ship it to me, which they said they won't do. Go figure. They have the parts invoice from my Ford dealer. Shouldn't need more than one, since list price is list price from any dealer. Sure, I can get an estimate from a body shop, and maybe I will (haven't seen my buddy Mike at Crouse's since he painted the Moose Tail), but that won't change much.