Moose Stang enters service!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been a long road. On October 17th, 2004, an 84' F-350 2WD Diesel crushed by a tree came to the Moose Valley. On Easter Sunday, 2005, A 1987 Bronco left the public roads and took up residence in my driveway. On October 16, 2005, nearly a year to the day it arrived, the engine from the 84' went into the 87'. Now, today, 3 months later, 12 days shy of 1 year and 3 months, the 84' 6.9 powered the Bronco, which hadn't been on the road for 8 months, 22 miles to the conienence store, under the cover of darkness for enough fuel to make it to the inspection station tomorrow morning. ;Sweet

It's a truck again folks! :D

Nervous doesn't describe it. I wouldn't say I had butterflies in my stomach or anything, but a great uneasyness which I think was brought about mostly by that insanely loud exhaust that I have at the moment. LOL That and the fact that I had 5 gallons in the tank, an unknown quantity of which had been consumed idling and experimenting. The gauge was a hair's thickness above E. I meant to put more in, but had forgotten to take the can and get some, but determined I was to make the run, I informed the wife that I was going out on a limb, took the cell phone and off I went. IT'S PERFECT. Except for a couple minor things. Cruise doesn't work. Not sure why. And one minor detail. I got to the diesel pump and went to put the nozzle in. Ahha. You guessed it. Guess what I forgot completely about? Darn 5 gallon jug nozzle fits in there just fine. :rotflmao :mad: :eek: I was getting no where fast. That damn little flapper thing was like a cork in a bottle. And so much a fan of murphy I am, that I took not a single tool with me. I managed to get my finger in there, and bend the flap enough that it wouldn't return to it's fully closed state anymore, and I nursed $30 worth into her, which gave me about 3/8 of a tank. Plenty for now. Any advice on a quick way around this problem? I've never modded any of my filler necks. On the way home, now with the certanty of a constant fuel supply, I put my foot into it some. My golly, I don't know how you streight pipe guys get used to this. I feel like I'm wearing a sign on my back that says kick me. Does sound hellashisly cool, but just a little to large a footprint on the radar screen if you ask me. I suppose I'm stuck with it for a while, until I figure out what I want to do with it.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Agnem said:
It's been a long road. On October 17th, 2004, an 84' F-350 2WD Diesel crushed by a tree came to the Moose Valley.
Parts left???????
Agnem said:
Any advice on a quick way around this problem? I've never modded any of my filler necks. On the way home, now with the certanty of a constant fuel supply, I put my foot into it some.
You must be registered for see images
Me thinks ya answered that one. :rolleyes: :D
Agnem said:
My golly, I don't know how you streight pipe guys get used to this. I feel like I'm wearing a sign on my back that says kick me. Does sound hellashisly cool, but just a little to large a footprint on the radar screen if you ask me. I suppose I'm stuck with it for a while, until I figure out what I want to do with it.
Mel, I thought the same thing the first time I was cruising in the exercise boys truck *********. :eek: Ya get used to it but yes in some areas they do become donut eater magnets. :D

Good to see ya got to make some Moose tracks. ;Sweet ;Sweet

On edit.... Frank that's not ice cream. :rolleyes:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ron, there isn't much left that is usable on the 84'. Two fuel tanks, the front suspension and axles, the crushed cab, and a box full of parts, which is what we had at the IDI Weekend last July. Flatlander is getting the steering column (Sorry Barney, I still haven't figured out how to ship it yet). Do you want the HVAC ducts? It didn't have AC, so I doubt what you need is in there. The frame and rear axle are destined to become another trailer. Can you say Stang Tale? LOL

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
AHH SO, Moose junkyard..... Me forgot so quickly.
HVAC ducts wont work.. Already eyed up the 85 gasser.... Different setup all the way round.

Stang Tail?????
Nah better not, pm coming yer way. :rotflmao

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Good Job Mel! :D

It has to feel good to have brought her along this far. As far as your filler neck goes, couldn’t you just swap the one from the parts truck over?

That is a really cool project, and an ever cooler daily driver. I really enjoy seeing unique rigs. I’m green with envy.

Congratulations!
;Sweet

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Hey Mel,
You'll get used to straight piped. :rotflmao :rotflmao Actually, I'm thinking of toning my exhaust down, some. My truck is loud, and I love to punch when going underneath an underpass. Friends at work just laugh. They say a truck that slow has no reason to be sooo loud. Its really fun when I floor it going through the shop. It just echos and echos ;Sweet ;Sweet ;Sweet
John

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent Mel!!!

I still haven't finished completely puttin' my '87 6.9 together to put in my '93 crewcab, and the truck is sitting out in a field all nasty and covered in snow etc, but it'll happen and you're giving me inspiration...!! :hail

Lookin' forward to the pics

Zigg :thumbsup:

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Mel,
I think that if any thing is for sure it is that you have turned a once uncool gas vehicle into an always cool diesel!

As for the noise........you get used to it......and by that I mean you can make it quite (relatively speaking) by not getting on it in town....unless you see turned heads, then hotdoging is necessary town or no town! :D
I have never been bothered by any cops for either truck being loud (and they can both hold their own in a Decible contest!)
But if i see one of those small town cops sitting somewhere watching I usually lay off the throttle and downshift to decrease smoke......so far this has worked just fine for me....and i imagine it will work fine for you too.
However, I have always wanted to get pulled over by a cop because of noise and ask him about all the Harleys running straight pipes and ask him if he ever pulled one of them over! The way i see it if they can do it, I can too!

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
Here ya go...but if you don't have the time to do the whole mod, try just removing the the upper neck and use the hole saw around the inside edge of the tube. Remember to take the "pilot bit" out first, it just gets in the way. If you don't do the whole job, you'll need to add a piece to the OEM plastic vent tube long enough to reach up past where the fill nozzle will fit in. Flatten the vent tube at the top to give room for the nozzle. This should work. Don't you have a turbo on that new engine to chop up the noise? OkieGringo

Take the filler neck out and remove the black hose that goes into the tank. It's stubborn but it will come off. I believe a one inch hole saw (remove the pilot bit first)is needed to gut the filler neck and throw the internals away. You'll want to cut into the inner part of the filler with a reciprocating saw to make pulling it out easier. You'll have to work it a bit but it'll come out eventually. A quarter inch piece of copper tubing needs to be brazed or epoxied to the top of the filler neck after drilling a hole in it. The tubing must be above where the end of the nozzle sits in the filler during fueling. Next you'll need to get to the top of the tanks. The rear tank is dropped by removing the skid plates that hold the tank up. Loosen the top straps to take pressure off the plates. The rollover valve in the top of the tank has a breather hose attached to it. Take the valve out and remove the guts. Drill it out as far as you can and then re-install being careful not to drop it in the tank or push it too far in the gromet or you'll be dropping the tank to fish it out. Get a new piece of 1/4" fuel line to run from the rollover valve to the fitting brazed on the filler. That is your new breather. Wire tie the hose into place and you should be good. If you need to drop the tanks all the way be sure to get(buy, rent, steal) the 'fuel line disconnect tool' or else the couplers aren't coming apart! This "mod" is a hassle/pain-in-the-****, but worth it. This ‘MOD’ makes filling the tanks soooo much easier/faster. Have fun,

Reaction score
Does not get much sweeter than that. Does it drive straight down the road Mel, or do you have to get it aligned? Any hitches in your giddyup? I mean other than the filler hole and the pipes is there anything that needs work?

The first day I got the new engine in my rig, I was running it around town with a straight pipe from the turbo...sure enough pulled over. My old body didn't look like the one on your bronco though. Surprised they didn't put yellow caution tape on it.

Way to go, Mel.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments everyone. Let's see some answers.... Yes, the streight pipe is being managed much in the way those of you who have one have described. I might get used to it. We'll see. The Bronco rides perfect, and even those free tires Scott gave me are doing pretty well. There have been no glitches thus far. Thanks for the fuel tank fill mod Oki. Now onto todays news....

SKUNKED!

Despite my best efforts to ascertain the social and political impact of converting to diesel, which included questions to my inspection guys such as "how will we handle the emissions thing?", I have run into a *** of red tape and government BS. Unbenownst to me, a message on my answering machine which has aged 2 days, and which I still haven't heard, informs me that I now will need a new title indicating the modifications I have made. I took the Moose Stang in for state inspection today and got the news. I'm not mad at these guys, because they did try to contact me, but it really didn't matter much anyway, because I still need to get it inspected TWICE as part of this affair. Basically, there is a 15 page form that my inspection mechanic has to fill out, which includes a line by line check of the necessary state inspection items. There then needs to be 6 photographs, documenting the changes, and including 2 pictures of the engine compartment and exhaust system. A description of the work done, complete with recepts for parts purchased, etc., and all this has to be signed by him. So the short summary is, I passed inspection with flying colors, but still don't have a sticker. Not expecting this to be the outcome, I was more or less forced to drive it to work anyway in this illegal state. All because PA enacted these stupid emissions laws. My inspection mechanic likes my exhaust system, and doesn't have a problem with it (he thinks it's sweet, and loves how it turned out), but he thinks the state might, so it may be necessary to put a muffler on somehow anyway, just to get the pictures approved. :rolleyes: So, the Moose Stang will be relegated back to a semi-permenent spot in the driveway until all this crap is :flush So no Joe, I won't make it this weekend. Also the $51 I spent to get the registration and tags will probably be wasted.

Those of you who are looking for pictures, have you checked out the video?

pafixitman

Reaction score
I would consider moving the VIN from the F350... ;Really

Check out this link according to our wonderful state the alteration of an exhaust system or addition of a 5th wheel hitch constitutes the need for a modified title. -cuss -cuss

You can't tell me all of those dumb punk wanna be's have a modified title for their ground effect equipped Hondas! :puke:

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
pafixitman said:
I would consider moving the VIN from the F350... ;Really

Thats what I was gonna say. You dont have a bronco, that thing looks like an F350 to me. Man you sure spent a lot of time shortening the frame, and installing that integrated bed cap. :Sly

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SWEET MEL! :cheers: :rock:

Glad to hear your project is on the road. Hopefully all the regestration BS will be over soon so you can enjoy the Bad A$$ Bronco. :draw What's next for the project????? Paint, turbo, lift, or a double secret Mel mod? ;Sweet

That '84 didn't have a tach by any chance did it????

Heath