Mirrors

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
My passenger side Mirror is all busted, just the glass not the casing. Where can I find a OEM replacement for it? All the parts stores have something like it but there not the same. Its the type of mirror found of duallys.

Reddually93

Reaction score
I would try the dealership im sure they'll have it. If they dont have it in stock they will order it for you

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Try a salvage yard or a scrap yard, that's where I get mine (sorry but my last spare got broke from someone knocking off a shelf).

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My passenger side Mirror is all busted, just the glass not the casing. Where can I find a OEM replacement for it? All the parts stores have something like it but there not the same. Its the type of mirror found of duallys.

If you are meaning the genuine stainless mirrors that I can almost see in the picture in your avatar, I pick them up at swap-meets all the time.

I have used GM heads on my Ford trucks and vice-versa; the shaft diameters are the same, BUT the Ford shaft is somewhat taller than a GM shaft.

The Ford head is smooth-backed; the GM head has reinforcing "ridges".

The glass is the same size/shape.

GM used the same shaft and head on a close-to-the-cab set of brackets also, commonly seen on 4x4 SRW trucks of the late 70s.

You can simply swap on a complete GM head and shaft; but, like I already stated, the GM shaft is shorter, making the truck look crooked if both sides are not done.

You can put a GM head on the taller Ford shaft, providing the Ford glass is broken out; reason being, the GM head will simply slide off the shaft when the four clamp-screws are loosened; whereas, the Ford shaft has a retainer made onto the shaft that will not allow the head to come completely off, UNLESS the glass is missing and you can then knock off that retainer and then remove the head.

As you have probably already discovered, the replacement heads available at auto-stores, J.C.Whitney, and the like, have the shaft riveted to the back-side of the head and most like that are rust-prone chrome, instead of stainless; they just look sort of cheap.

More than twenty years ago, twice in one week, I got the driver mirror knocked into a million pieces, once by an overly long truck-flat :eek: swinging over into my lane while he was turning, the other when me and a semi met on a tight bridge and locked mirrors.

Over the years, I have had various other gate-post encounters, BB-guns, big rocks, wild horses, etc.

Due to the near impossibleness of finding replacements, I have developed the habit of grabbing everyone priced within reason that I see, cleaning them up, and hanging them in the rafters.

This got me to thinking, I need to put at least one good spare head in the truck, in the event I lose a mirror a long way from home. ;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Another option that I have done in the past, providing you did not lose the rubber seal, is to have a glass shop cut a new piece of mirror.

If you are handy, you can cut the glass yourself.

I don't think the factory glass is anything special; as, when it gets broken, it flys into all kinds of big dagger-like throat-slashing pieces; so, plain old mirror glass should be fine.

Make a pattern of thin plywood and test the fit of the plywood in the rubber seal and in the head.

If there is enough left of the broken glass, you can simply trace around it onto the plywood pattern.

First you will need to slightly "open" the edges of the head where the rubber fits, sort of bending the edge with a pair of pliers or such.

Once you get the plywood to fit like you want, take it to the glass shop and have them cut a piece ( or ten ) to match the pattern, or cut it yourself.

Mark the plywood pattern as to what it is and KEEP IT for future scenarios.

Put the new glass in the seal, put a bead of silicone adhesive around the inside edges of the head, put the seal with glass into the head, and carefully press the edges of the head tightly against the seal.

If you lost your seal, just get one from a broken mirror at the junk-yard. ;Sweet

ihatelaramie

Reaction score
I had this same problem on the old truck... short story I just bought one of those cheapo replacement heads from the local parts store and swapped in the glass. Same size and shape.

Shaguardriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scrapyard I think you might have an LKQ by you I know I got a drivers vent window and a driver mirror, wiper and light switch all in Great shape $25;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Staff online