supercharged 7.3?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have a lead on a Vortech/Paxton supercharger capable of producing 5-12lbs of boost depending on engine rpm and pulley size, cost to me will be nowhere near what a turbo kit costs - question is, have anyone done that type of forced induction on an IDI engine, and in general what would be your thoughts on it?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not a laughing matter whatsoever.
somebody's go to push the envelope.;Sweet
It would be an interesting engineering and fabrication challenge.
good luck!;Sweet

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Yes there was a picture of one posted on here before. My thoughts are that a supercharger is not as efficient. If it was better than a turbo one would assume that manufactureres would put them on at the factory instead of a turbo.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not as efficient, this is true. But, if it is cheap, then the boost pound per dollar may be better. ;Sweet Give it a shot. Can't hurt to try.

sassyrel

Reaction score
wonder how long before the rods go flying--will need a LARGE popoff valve, so boost doesnt get out of hand---like said--me thinks the parasitic loss wouldnt be worth it compared to a hairdryer---

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A while back someone posted a pic of a 6.9 with a BDS blower on it. Because I live about 4 miles from BDS I went there and talked to there engineers. They had nothing to do with that buildup. All they could claim is that it was their blower on the motor. They could however fabricate an intake manifold but... The cost for a one off was around $20,000.00..... The owner stated that the blower did very little for power on that motor. Some here will remember it. Now about parasitic power lose.... A top fuel drag motor has about a 10% power lose... Thats around 750 horse power.... Would we be loosing around 30 to 40 horse power???:dunno

FordGuy100

Reaction score
A while back someone posted a pic of a 6.9 with a BDS blower on it. Because I live about 4 miles from BDS I went there and talked to there engineers. They had nothing to do with that buildup. All they could claim is that it was their blower on the motor. They could however fabricate an intake manifold but... The cost for a one off was around $20,000.00..... The owner stated that the blower did very little for power on that motor. Some here will remember it. Now about parasitic power lose.... A top fuel drag motor has about a 10% power lose... Thats around 750 horse power.... Would we be loosing around 30 to 40 horse power???:dunno

I think its just based on the supercharger itself, and what pulleys they have on it. I mean if you have a supercharger on a rig, it will take up X amount of horsepower with one pulley combinations, and 2X amount of horsepower with a pulley combo that turns it 2 times faster (doubles the boost).

Top fuel motors are big in displacement, and probably use huge like 12v71 blowers on them pushing like 40psi of boost or something emense.

tractorman86

Reaction score
this would be very interesting!!! i think if you use the right pulley setup you could make it very efficient. i'm just not sure if the pulley's are avalible tho. it is a very cool concept, it was an 85 F250 6.9, 4x4 could prob find it using the search if you wanted. i do think the paxton style would work buch better, take less money for engineering and less space under the hood.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I remember that truck. It was all show. That was not even a functional supercharger. It had freak'n throttle plates on the scoop for crying out loud.cookoo :rolleyes: And the linkage to these plates wheren't even hooked to anything to open and close them. They just stayed closed all the timeLOL . It was a teenage girl selling it on ebay a while back. I think she commented that it "didn't add much performace."

Heath

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I can't imagine fabrication being too hard, it will go in place of the A/C compressor so I only need a few brackets, and we have a good fab shop at school with the supervisor being a master welder. The supercharger is a stand-alone type and currently lives in a 351W Mustang (it's coming off come summer as it's getting replaced by a roots-type supercharger), all I really need to do is come up with some plumbing from its outlet straight to the stock air-cleaner box's inlet, which can't be all that hard either, seeing how they will be very close to each other... I'm considering that setup as it has been mentioned here a few times that the more air you move through a diesel, the more power you get from it, and turbos quite frankly scare me as I will not be able to afford a new setup any time soon, and a used one from a seller whom I do not personally know is just asking for trouble... Guess now I'll have to start saving up for the supercharger :D

tractorman86

Reaction score
all I really need to do is come up with some plumbing from its outlet straight to the stock air-cleaner box's inlet, which can't be all that hard either, seeing how they will be very close to each other...

no it wont be hard at all, what is the O.D. of the outlet? prob. just get a "cold air intake" much like mine and just plumb them togather:D couldnt do that here though! gotta have the A/C.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Apples to oranges here guys/ The BDS units are the old 6/71 blower style units that eat your hp up, the paxton units are little tiny hybrid belt driven turbo looking units. Shouldn't be much parasitic loss at all off one of those things, although might have to do some creative work with pulley sizing to get the thing spinning fast enough off one of these things to do any good . they're designed to build boost on a wound up gasser,and that's going to be spinning a few grand higher.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online