Might be going to look at a "new" truck, what to look for.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
I have my 1994 F250 idi. Done alot of work to it, custom flatbed, custom exhaust, custom suspension, crane, fuel system, electrical, etc etc. I have always wanted to have an OBS F-Super Duty for the size and carry capacity - Also the ability to have a king or crew cab and maintain the weight load and larger bed size.

I am hopefully going to look at a 1992 F Super duty, 7.3idi, e4OD. Looks to be in pretty good shape, has some common issues, injector O Rings leak, makes it hard to start, especially in the winter. Shift cable is broken. Has a fiberglass utility body and transfer tank that I would likely sell since I would swap my flatbed off my F250. What should I keep an eye out for?

Is it possible to swap my fisher speedcast push plates from my truck onto the super duty? How well do these dually 2wd trucks do off road?

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ISPKI i know the F super dutys had 10 lug axles and hydroboost on them so i would check over the axles and the brakes to make sure they are good because those parts are harder to find. it may or may not have a bigger trans cooler on it, if it does it might be a specialty size

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How well do these dually 2wd trucks do off road?

It's probably like every other 2wd dually I have driven. They will get stuck on the slightest slope in wet grass. In other words, terrible. Way worse than a single rear wheel 2wd truck.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
It's probably like every other 2wd dually I have driven. They will get stuck on the slightest slope in wet grass. In other words, terrible. Way worse than a single rear wheel 2wd truck.
I will second that.2wd dually's are meant for payload,and not so much offroad capability due to the traction being spread out so wide.I almost bought a 92' 7.3,zf5 super duty over the summer,but the seller sold it out from under me.That truck had a 10 foot utility body with a service crane,and I really loved that truck.Like Miles1400 said,the superduties have 10 lugs axles,hydraboost brakes,and also the frame is beefier,and it has a tranny parking brake.They are built very heavy,and aren't that easy to find in good shape since they are usually fleet trucks.Other then that,just look out for the standard things like on your 250

Rock

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depending on the mileage and how heavy the truck was used that E4OD might be in bad shape. And yeah, 2wd dually will get stuck just about anywhere.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that if you plan on transferring your current bed, you will likely need to rework it a bit. The frame rails are not spaced the same on the superduty.

On a separate note, I thought the F-Superduty was only offered in a regular cab, is that true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a separate note, I thought the F-Superduty was only offered in a regular cab, is that true?

I think you are correct. So if we go by that, we can be sure his original truck he has now is a pickup, and the bed he made for it will not fit the chassis/cab superduty without modifications.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Pickups have 38" spaced frame rails. The cab & chassis are spaced at 34". I believe the F-superduty wheelbases are 5', 7' and 9' cab/axle dimension. None of those correspond with the pickup wheelbases.

A lunchbox locker is an easy way to smarten up the traction on a 2wd. Check the axle ratio is what you want - I believe 5.13 and 4.63 are the 2 offerings.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In regards to the dually traction, they are not good but another potential solution besides a welded diff is an elocker. No idea what rear axle would be in that truck, but if it’s a Sterling you could think about the factory Ford E-Locker which folks are doing pretty commonly for around $500 with factory Ford parts.

ISPKI

Reaction score
Well I got it. Pictures to come. Has some issues but nothing I'm not used to dealing with and have the parts to fix already.

Modding my flatbed is a non issue, I'm a welder/fabricator/engineer. I built the bed using a 140amp welder and since picking up my 250A machine have been wanting to redo some parts of it anyway. Rails are 4" I beam, crossmembers are 5" I beams. Plenty of meat to cut and weld.

I believe it is 5.13 geared. The main issues with it is the shifter column broke and most of the injector caps leak fuel. Other than that, cab is clean, fenders have no rust, frame is clean, rad support is clean. In pretty ok shape overall.

ISPKI

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Garbage picture but here it is. Spent alot of its life as a quarry repair truck apearently, has very little rust on it, just a little bit under one of the floor pans. Rad support is solid. Frame is solid, fenders aren't rusty at all. Non turbo 7.3 with an e4od. Column shifter broke, 5/8 injectors leak from the return caps, some other odds and ends. Most importantly, it doesn't have the electrical gremlins that my truck has.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Nice looking rig you got there!
Looks identical to the truck I tried to buy,except that one was a zf5 and painted red.I miss that truck,I really do.

Rock

ISPKI

Reaction score

ISPKI

Reaction score
I think the first im going to do to her is finish the paint job, mount my set of west coast towing mirrors, and then get into the odds and ends mechanical bits that need fixing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online