might be getting another oil burner

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
this past week i stumbled onto a 89 F-350 4x4 Dually 7.3 Diesel 5spd 170k miles. the only thing i know is that the oil and antifreeze are mixed, so that leads me to believe the o rings in the oilcooler are bad. i am not sure what the guy wants for it, what do you all think would be a fair price? at this time it does not have a bed, it used to be a flatbed, and thats probably what i would put on it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My rule of thumb for buying used 7.3's in whatever condition - Use your imagination and take the motor out. Now, figure a crate motor for $4K. Add what you think the rest of the truck is worth and that's your asking price, less $4K. A rust free body with spotless interior is probably worth 3 to 4K. Add another 1K for a dually or crew cab. Another 1K for 4WD. Of course, these values may depend on what part of the country your in.

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
in shanghai in my friends yard, he bought it at a sale somewheres. he bought it and was going to swap a low mileage 6.9 from dealers diesel w/ hypermax turbo out of a wrecked truck into it. but since he is getting up in years, i highly doubt it will ever get done, i was going to offer him $500-800 for it, the sheetmetal is straight and good, the interior could use a good cleaning. and it needs a bed. tires seem to be good, i just figured if i could pick it up for cheap it would be an awesome ride.

i regret getting rid of my 93, thats why i am shopping for another one to work on.

after i get off of work tomorrow morn, i will try to snap a pic of it and get more info.

plus i have to talk the wife into it.... thats probably the hardest part,

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
in shanghai in my friends yard, he bought it at a sale somewheres. he bought it and was going to swap a low mileage 6.9 from dealers diesel w/ hypermax turbo out of a wrecked truck into it. but since he is getting up in years, i highly doubt it will ever get done, i was going to offer him $500-800 for it, the sheetmetal is straight and good, the interior could use a good cleaning. and it needs a bed. tires seem to be good, i just figured if i could pick it up for cheap it would be an awesome ride.

If you get it and need help with it... I'll give you my new address!

i regret getting rid of my 93, thats why i am shopping for another one to work on.

after i get off of work tomorrow morn, i will try to snap a pic of it and get more info.

Look forward to the pic... Though, I've probably seen it already.. Just didn't realize it cookoo

plus i have to talk the wife into it.... thats probably the hardest part,

Don't let her push her around! :backoff Show her who wears the pants in the family! :moon: Show her who is boss! :fight: She'll be shocked :shocked:

Just make sure you hide your hammers! :idiot:

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
i talked to the owner today. he has intentions on swapping in the 6.9 with the hypermax turbo that i mentioned above, instead of fixing the oil cooler, he knows the 6.9 is almost brand new, truck was just in rear collision. he said he would rather do that then fix the oil cooler and something else on the 7.3 be bad. on top of that he wants to keep it to make it a dump truck, he supposedly has a bed laying around for it. so i guess i wont be getting that jewel. on the brighter side, he asked me if i wanted to swap motors for him since he is too old to do it and fix up the truck. and would pay me good for it, since i have alot of spare time now. he has another 7.3 there with a utility bed on it, also 4wd and x-cab but its an automatic, and he doesnt want to come off of it either.

so i am thinking i will prob do the motor swap for him and see how it goes. spare cash aint always bad.

so i guess i am still shopping, and keeping it from the wife. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online