Mech changed Injector pump now I got black smoke...

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the first time i had someone else work on my truck it wasnt a pleasurable experience, the work was good, but the bill was not.

i paid 150 to get my truck timed,
came home and about a month later i bought a meter to time it myself for 200.
buy the equipment, then you have it.
these engines are stupid simple.
it just takes time, and the proper tools.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The advice about purchasing your own timing meter is good.. but before you buy a meter please ask here if the meter you are looking at is complete. I use the Kent Moore J33300 and J33300-A meters at home and in my rental program. They have all the needed tools plus you get my cell number in case you want to ask questions. I see these meters on ebay all the time but some of them are missing very expensive parts. A magnetic probe is $375.00 and the pulse clamp harness is another $125.00. Then the slmap is around $75.00. If you don't know what to look for you might end up spending plenty of money to get a working meter.

srunner

Reaction score
Just got a tech-time 3300 timing unit it seams to work well but I got some questions. should I use the high or low setting on the trigger point. Anyone done a video on it set up and use? it looks like my truck is too advanced it's showing 10.5? where should it be. I also just got dura lift pump any suggestions on placing would it be better on the frame rail on the engine compartment.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kinda hate to say this, but get the truck running right before making any changes to it. Ya don't want to introduce what might be more problems.
Vacuum lite blinking, change the fuel filter. Did that correct it?

Black smoking, learn how to use that tech-time 3300 first. I've never heard of them. Google it for instructions. Maybe some one on here knows about them. They'll chime in, not everyone is on here all the time, give it a day or two.

DO NOT START SEVERAL THREADS. Just keep this one going until your original problem is corrected.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I've been waiting to see. Trigger pulled. [emoji1303]

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
As for the flashing fuel filter light, you might check to see that the wire is plugged in tightly. Maybe the mechanic bumped the wire and it makes and loses contact as the engine vibrates. Maybe it won't change anything, but it's free to check and beats spending a bunch of money and then finding out it wasn't making good contact.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nice vid ...thanks...this needs be in tech articles

Very nice video about this meter timing. It appears to be very much like my kent moore J33300-A meter. Mel once told me if the timing changes as we drive our trigs its generally felt the pump is wearing out and needs to be replaced. Best way to prove this is make a center punch mark in the joint line of the pump to the housing it mounts to. then we rechecking the timing later on if the timing has changed and the mark has not moved.. your pump is failing internally. Gear wear is not a probable cause of timing change..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online