Mech changed Injector pump now I got black smoke...

srunner

Reaction score
Mech changed Injector pump now I got black smoke and the fuel filter light is flashing at idle. After he did the work he admitted he knows very little about IDI's. Any good old school mechanic's here in Los Angeles? I love my truck and it not running right. This is my daily driver for work so shes got to run. If it's an easy fix I can do. I just cant have a brake down.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mech changed Injector pump now I got black smoke and the fuel filter light is flashing at idle. After he did the work he admitted he knows very little about IDI's. Any good old school mechanic's here in Los Angeles? I love my truck and it not running right. This is my daily driver for work so shes got to run. If it's an easy fix I can do. I just cant have a brake down.

Amazing how many come here...AFTER the facts....

Depending on how he did work...could be simple as 3 nuts a slight turn ....voila....done bobs yer uncle

Then again...could be nightmare too

We gotcha covered either way...being I am in CA not Ca....I got no way offer help

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@icanfixall is your man.

where did he get the pump from?

sounds like a combo of too much fuel, not being timed, and inadequate lift pump to support the IP.

srunner

Reaction score
Amazing how many come here...AFTER the facts....

Depending on how he did work...could be simple as 3 nuts a slight turn ....voila....done bobs yer uncle

Then again...could be nightmare too

We gotcha covered either way...being I am in CA not Ca....I got no way offer help

Ok Cool. I'm reading more about this. It will get fixed

srunner

Reaction score
Ok cool I PM him, were is he?

Not sure were he got it i sent a text I have not herd back yet. I think he got the one for a turbo...

I'm quite sure he didn't time it. It's running good I just don't want any problems down the road. It only smoked a tiny bit before the work

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he's somewhere in your area,
he hasnt been online yet. he will chime in.
cool your jets and tell us a little more about your truck..
complete info is helpfull
were the injectors changed?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did pump get changed?

Was it removed from IP gear cover tower by itself?

Or

Did the mechanic remove IP with gear cover?

Did he time it with any kind of equipment? Or was it done by ear?

Did injectors get changed?

Is pump new if so from where? Same ? For injectors.

Lots amd lots of unanswered ?s

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm west of downtown La about 25 miles. I can recommend a good idi shop in the Downey area. Its called dieseltune and owned by Mike Candalera. He is the ONLY guy near me that really knows the idi engine. The other fake ass shops round here are no help.. Sadly as you have found out. When a shop turns away work they are sending money to other shops. So they "take all comers"....

srunner

Reaction score
I'm west of downtown La about 25 miles. I can recommend a good idi shop in the Downey area. Its called dieseltune and owned by Mike Candalera. He is the ONLY guy near me that really knows the idi engine. The other fake ass shops round here are no help.. Sadly as you have found out. When a shop turns away work they are sending money to other shops. So they "take all comers"....

That's not too far I have herd that Diesel tune has changed owners. I really reluctant to go there after reading some reviews. Ive be to 2 diesel shops and it always comes back just a little better but worse if that makes any sense. I dont mind diving I just need to find a god mech for the truck

srunner

Reaction score
The injectors were change about 3 years ago by an other owner (well that is what he said) Since Ive put may 20K on the truck. The IP stared dripping for the front about 6 mo ago. Thanks for you time guys

srunner

Reaction score
Not sure how it was changed...

The injectors are 3 year old

I think he timed by ear Not sure were the pump came from

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not too far I have herd that Diesel tune has changed owners. I really reluctant to go there after reading some reviews. Ive be to 2 diesel shops and it always comes back just a little better but worse if that makes any sense. I dont mind diving I just need to find a god mech for the truck

I live in the So cal area, but sorry I don't have anyone to recommend. When I first got the truck, yes I did take it to a local diesel mechanic thinking that I didn't have the experience to do it myself. He changed the lift pump and in the process had loosened the vacuum pump, and he didn't bother to tighten it back up. That was a disaster waiting to happen luckily I noticed the problem before it was too late.

Another time I had my truck somewhere for a brake job and they left a rag on the exhaust manifold. Another disaster waiting to happen. These were professional mechanics. I realized that I trust myself better and I can't afford to pay for other people's stupid mistakes. Anyways, just some food for thought. All the help on this forum is much better than chancing it at a shop.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I got mine the timing was very retarded. It would roll coal and fumigate streets. I adjusted it to somewhere between 8-9 btdc and most of the smoke cleared up.power really went up too

srunner

Reaction score
When I got mine the timing was very retarded. It would roll coal and fumigate streets. I adjusted it to somewhere between 8-9 btdc and most of the smoke cleared up.power really went up too

Ok cool. Thank you.

Any thoughts on the flickering fuel filter light? I think it might be the Lift pump. Thinking I might change to Electric, better wire-man than mech. lol

gandalf

Reaction score
Ok cool. Thank you.

Any thoughts on the flickering fuel filter light? I think it might be the Lift pump. Thinking I might change to Electric, better wire-man than mech. lol

That flickering fuel filter light would mean either not enough fuel is getting to the IP, or not at a sufficient pressure. My first step would be to change out the fuel filter. If it has enough crap in it you won't get enough fuel through it to satisfy the IP. If that doesn't cure things, then I'd look at the lift pump. It may not be putting through enough fuel. The lift pump may want to be replaced. Given time and effort you can measure both quantity and pressure through the fuel filter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.