Mech changed Injector pump now I got black smoke...

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
This pump is a moose Jr. that is 3-4 years old. Only has 35000 miles on it. On the way home from the rally I was getting heat soak symptoms. New pump will be ordered here soon.

srunner

Reaction score
That flickering fuel filter light would mean either not enough fuel is getting to the IP, or not at a sufficient pressure. My first step would be to change out the fuel filter. If it has enough crap in it you won't get enough fuel through it to satisfy the IP. If that doesn't cure things, then I'd look at the lift pump. It may not be putting through enough fuel. The lift pump may want to be replaced. Given time and effort you can measure both quantity and pressure through the fuel filter.

So I changed the fuel pump today and no more flashing fuel filter light so that fixed that.

srunner

Reaction score
The timing is now at 9.5. it seems to be a bit better but still billows black smoke at 3/4 -full and really has low power going up hills. Really billows black smoke going up hills as well. I was reading somewhere else I don't think the injectors have been changed since they were painted the factory gray color. So I'm thinking I should probably change them?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The timing is now at 9.5. it seems to be a bit better but still billows black smoke at 3/4 -full and really has low power going up hills. Really billows black smoke going up hills as well. I was reading somewhere else I don't think the injectors have been changed since they were painted the factory gray color. So I'm thinking I should probably change them?

You never did say where your IP wss procured. Was it reman ...used...what?

We really need the full picture of whats going on to assist ya

srunner

Reaction score
Oh sorry I missed that It was a "manufactured" unit but the guy will not return my phone call to say where he got it. So I'm kinda in the dark I'll try getting that info. Is there any way to tell by looking at it? It looks newly rebuilt.

srunner

Reaction score
The first one he installed was for a turbo but by the time I got back to my house is leaking so I brought it back to him. I asked him if it was for a turbo he said yes. I told him to install the correct one. One for a nonturbo. The next day when I came to pick it up mentioned something about it be on Arctic pump and that it is now the correct one. If any of that makes sense to you guys.

srunner

Reaction score
Okay just a heads-up now I replace the injectors Timed the truck and replaced the fuel pump. Three of the injectors look like they have water on them I'm assuming that's a bad thing. I still have black smoke at three quarters to full throttle. What next ?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay just a heads-up now I replace the injectors Timed the truck and replaced the fuel pump. Three of the injectors look like they have water on them I'm assuming that's a bad thing. I still have black smoke at three quarters to full throttle. What next ?

Ok gotchya

Autozone pump

Where are these replacement injectors from?

srunner

Reaction score
The injectors are from accurate diesel. I just spent a hour playing with the timing it's a 9.3 BTDC it seem to be better. I can't go on a long test drive tonight but it looks like less black smoke. I'll test tomorrow let ya'll know. Thanks everyone for the help up to now!!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So sadly neither parts ip or injectorz from known decent retailers so pop pressures and patterns are questionable.

Lets be hopeful the timing clears it up for ya.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7