Maybe time for steering box?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
It is leaking but I only have to refill every couple months, now I believe this leak is sprayed by the engine fan all over the radiator and as a result it clogging all the fins. I don't like that so I need advice on first how to get rid of this oil/dirt stuff in the rad fins (curiously it only build up on the rad fins but not on the a/c cooler fins), I thought maybe using brake cleaner and then spray with lots of water, will this be the best way?

Also I need to do something about this leak before I clean up everything so, can I rebuild this steering box or should I just get a new one? I hear about the "red box" before but I don't know where to get one and if it need any modifications like using adapter for the steering and hydro-booster hoses.

Thank You for any help.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
cant say much for the red box but i have had good luck with new boxes from a-zone. i didn't bother rebuilding because IIRC one ready to go was only around 150-160 and its only a couple of hours with no special tools to change out. the seals can be replaced individually but i have been told that if they go then the box is probably worn.

if its spraying like you say are you sure its not the high pressure line?

i would think regular brake cleaner or degreaser sprayed on the rad should help break it up. then spray it down, i have hit them with pressure washers then. just make sure you are not right on it and hitting it head on so you don't bend fins.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If it's just a small leak, try dropping a couple of ounces of Auto Rx in there and running for a while. It may just take care of it if it's a seal leak. I've had some pretty amazing luck with that stuff.

-------Robert

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I can't see much now (it raining) the PS pump is on the way but I'll try and look for the high pressure hoses maybe it'll stop but since it is so old I might just replace it to get rid of that leak.

I will use some engine cleaner on the frame to clean up the oil buildup and then spray clean the hole think. What about engine cleaner on the rad? not good for the hoses right?

Thank You.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I can't see much now (it raining) the PS pump is on the way but I'll try and look for the high pressure hoses maybe it'll stop but since it is so old I might just replace it to get rid of that leak.

I will use some engine cleaner on the frame to clean up the oil buildup and then spray clean the hole think. What about engine cleaner on the rad? not good for the hoses right?

Thank You.

I use simple green under the hood all the time. I try to keep it off the hoses as much as possible, but have never seen any bad effects where it has got on them.

--------Robert

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I use simple green under the hood all the time. I try to keep it off the hoses as much as possible, but have never seen any bad effects where it has got on them.

--------Robert

Where do You get that? autoparts I guess?

Thank You.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Simple green is available just about anywhere. I usually get the big jugs at Sam's Club.

--------Robert

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
i found it was easier to take the drivers side tire off and the mud flap splash gaurd thing of then you can look right at the steering box + ps lines.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Also it looks like I'll have to remove the a/c compressor and ps pump to do this right? I checked Napa and their price is $174, anyone used this unit before? I would go autozone as Jred suggested but napa is closer.

SKimballC

Reaction score
You can pull the steering box without pulling the AC or PS pump. Its a PITA, but it can be done. Like brownieboy525 says, pull the wheel and flap and you can get right on it. The hardest time I had was wrestling with the lines.
I dont' want to start a squabble about it, but I personally have had better luck with NAPA. I don't ever buy from Autozone unless its something that can't break.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score

That red box you have read about is a steering gear rebuilder in Seattle. The business name is Red Head Steering Gears. The owner and crew is Harvey. He has some neat tricks to take the slop out of the recirculating ball sector shaft and does a great job on his rebuilts. I have been to his shop several times. I have mentioned his work on RV.net and several guys have gotten rebuilt gears from him for their Class C motorhomes with the E-350 chassis. They all raved about how much better their rigs steered.

Jim

Red Head --206-364-3333

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Anyone know if the engine cleaner/degreaser would do anything to the seals and hoses?

Thank You.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
FWIW if there is no play in the box, and just a seal leaking, it is possibly just to put a seal kit in, I have done this with 3 of my trucks.
costs al;ot less for a seal kit, around $30.00 but takes some time to diussassemble and reassesmble.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Nick You where right, rebuilding this box is easier than installing one. Unfortunately someone ruined the bearing so now I'll have to buy the hole thing :mad: . I'll pick one up from napa in two hours, now I have a question, anyone know how to regulate the play on the steering? I noticed there is a nut/stud combination (like some rocker arms) that one can twist and tighten and that changes the steering play so, should I go higher or lower the stud and then tighten the nut?

Thank You everyone.