Mating a 6.9 to E4OD

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
My son and I are going to help out a good friend who is currently disabled and can't work or do his own repairs.
He has a 94 F250 factory turbo truck that has fallen to the block worm. Needs a rebuild or another engine. Has the E4OD trans.
He also has an 84 F250 that has been in the family for a long time that runs good, low miles but the truck isn't usable. It has the C6 trans.
The plan is to swap the 6.9 into the 94, none of which worries me in the least, except that I'm not 100% clear on the flex plate / flywheel.
Using search I haven't found many references to this. My understanding is that the 7.3 flywheel shouldn't be run on the 6.9.
Does the 6.9 and E4OD share the same flexplate pattern? Can the 6.9 with it's current C6 flywheel and flex plate set up just bolt up to the E4OD?

Thanks

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will bolt up fine, problem is your factory turbo engine has a flex plate that is balanced differently than a non factory turbo engine.

You will need to get a flex plate from an NA 7.3.

As to the 6.9 bolting to it, maybe....my truck had a c6 bolted to an e4od flexplate when I bought it......

dcption

Reaction score
Just did the same swap basically. I'm using the 6.9 with its flex plate attached to the e4od no problems except the starter from the 7.3 occasionally didn't want to engage but I'm thinking the starter just happened to coincidently crap out at the same time. Put the one off the 6.9 on it and no problem but as far as I know there isn't any difference in the starters so just a fluke I guess. On another note there is definitely a lot more mass to the non turbo flywheel.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Several different flexplates were made for the idi engine when an auto is used. The heavy cast iron flexplate is no longer avaialble and if it was the cost was 450 bucks. The next plate was the one with the starter gear welded to it and it required a spacer that is about 1 1/8 inch thick. Next was again the same style plate but balanced for the turbo engine. Best advice is know what you want before buying. Maybe a member here can post some pics of what I have mentioned. Remember the torque for the bolts to the crank flange are 47 lbs and they enter the oily side of the engine. So use a thread sealer on them or sure nuff you will have a good size oil leak.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Here's my flex plate from a C6

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,007.2 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,004.9 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    784.1 KB · Views: 16

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Here's my flex plate from a C6

This is the heavy cast iron flexplate. This plate has a replaceable ring gear too. The torque converter actually bolts thru the heavy plate into the thin stamped plate. This is a 3 piece set up too. It does not require the crank spacer. You can still purchase the thin stamped plate but no longer can you purchase the heavy cast iron plate.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
You can use the C6 flex/flywheel with your E4OD. It will bolt right up.

Trackspeeder, I have a pretty high level of trust in what you post on here, I have been here a long time and never seen you post anything I questioned.

Before I assume, you are tlaking about the 6.9 flywheel / flex plate system with the heavy flywheel correct?

BTW, been meaning to ask for years, ar you in the rail business?

siegler

Reaction score
Before I assume, you are tlaking about the 6.9 flywheel / flex plate system with the heavy flywheel correct?

My 7.3 had flex plate w/ flywheel on it when I pulled the e4od. I looked up the part number on the flywheel part of the assembly (1813126c1) and it came up as being for a 7.3 w/ c6. If that helps you in some way.....

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Trackspeeder, I have a pretty high level of trust in what you post on here, I have been here a long time and never seen you post anything I questioned.

BTW, been meaning to ask for years, ar you in the rail business?

Yes, the flex/flywheel is the heavy cast wheel with the tin plate attached. Found on 6.9 and early 7.3 engines. Later units have a stamped steel plate replacing the flywheel.

Yes I do play with trains too. Part time, track inspections and repairs. More for fun then money.LOL