6.9, E4OD compatability?

allczns

Reaction score
hi all, I'm still collecting donors for my project. The end result will be a 1990 F250 4x4 extended cab. I have located a 1987 F250 4x4 with a C6 and the elusive 6.9. Here's the question...will the 6.9 bolt up to an E4OD?
thanks,

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+3

I am using a C6 flex plate with my E4OD. Just make sure the offset is correct, I had to space mine off by 1/8".

The world needs more 6.9s with E4ODs LOL

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your going to need the FIPL and associated goodies from the 7.3 donor vehicle but yes it will work just fine. Hopefully the E4OD is working well now. If not build it up with at least the 97 and later updates. Most E4OD problems seem to be from poor communication between the engine and tranny. As a result the tach needs to be working and FIPL adjustments must be correct and you must keep good clean tranny fluid in there.

allczns

Reaction score
thanks...

...for all the input. I figure this to be a 3 year project at my pace. I'll go see the 6.9 this week...it's one of those "it ran great when I parked it two years ago trucks". My donors are complete vehicles (more or less) which should make side by side parts swapping easier. Funny how many times I've talked to someone on the phone about a truck...he tells me it's all there...and when I go to see it, he suddenly remembers that his buddy "borrowed" the injection pump or he took the alternator for his other truck etc etc etc.
Oh well, lots of fun...