Another E4OD flashing OD light thread

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Code 26 is a failed TOT sensor. Usually out of range.
Pull the solenoid pack connector and check for fluid leakage. Most TOT failures are from fluid leakage.

To fix a this problem you have to replace the solenoid pack.

94NAIDI

Reaction score
Also. I noticed what appears to be an in line filter in the transmission cooling lines. Little thing about the size of an aftermarket fuel filter like we used to run on our carbureted cars. I’m curious if that thing could be causing a restriction and maybe starving the tranny of fluid. Just a thought.

94NAIDI

Reaction score
Code 26 is a failed TOT sensor. Usually out of range
I’m starting to think I got that code because it is only 10 degrees outside and I don’t think the tranny was warmed up. I will have to drive the truck and then rerun the codes.

I did previously remove all electrical connections to the tranny including the solenoid pack connector. Cleaned them and used dielectric grease. If when I rerun the codes with the tranny warm, I’ll remove the connector again and look for trans fluid in it. Since I cleaned it. Anything but the grease will let me know for sure.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I’m starting to think I got that code because it is only 10 degrees outside and I don’t think the tranny was warmed up. I will have to drive the truck and then rerun the codes.

I did previously remove all electrical connections to the tranny including the solenoid pack connector. Cleaned them and used dielectric grease. If when I rerun the codes with the tranny warm, I’ll remove the connector again and look for trans fluid in it. Since I cleaned it. Anything but the grease will let me know for sure.
It could be -10 you should not get that code unless there is something going wrong.

94NAIDI

Reaction score
It could be -10 you should not get that code unless there is something going wrong.
Am I misunderstanding what the code 26 is? I thought it was Transmission Oil Temperature Sensor. If that’s the case, I am assuming that I didn’t get the transmission up to operating temperature before running the codes. And it pulled that code because the temp was out of range. Am I wrong about that? If I am, then this is our best clue so far. Otherwise I can get the truck up to temperature and rerun the codes today.

94NAIDI

Reaction score
I did go ahead and remove the in line filter I found in the cooling lines.
You must be registered for see images attach

This thing was certainly causing a restriction. Was it causing all of my problems? Don’t know yet. But when I pulled it, I could not blow through it. I blew through it opposite direction of flow and some crap came out. Then I was able to blow through it the correct direction of flow. It was most definitely restricting flow back to the tranny. I just put straight through hard line in its place. Since my issue was very intermittent, I’m not sure this was the problem. But it certainly wasn’t helping anything.

I’ll drive the truck today. Rerun the codes with the tranny good and warmed up. And hope for the best. It may take a couple days for the OD light to come on again. If this didn’t fix it. I’ll post up my results.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s a micro fine filter that is usually installed when a transmission is rebuilt to catch the failed materials in the system. If it was clogged you may want to replace it rather than run without it and crap gets in everything in your transmission, which could cause a major failure.

94NAIDI

Reaction score
Good to know. I believe they put those filters on to protect the new transmission from all the crap the old transmission may have spit into the tranny cooler lines, radiator, and other cooler. This transmission has been in this truck for many years at this point. I’m guessing any rebuild that took place was long ago. Do I really need an in line filter at this point? Seems like a redundant unnecessary restriction in the cooler line. If the answer is yes, I need it, then I’ll get one on order. But my brain just can’t comprehend the necessity for it at this point in the trannys life.

94NAIDI

Reaction score
I did drive the truck on an hour long trip today without the in line filter. The transmission shifted better than it ever has. No blinking light. Now I’m not celebrating just yet, because it was intermittent to begin with. But it certainly feels like it has improved.

When I returned from the trip, I ran the codes. No 26 code this time. So I believe that was just the trans fluid not up to temp when I ran the codes the last time. I did get the 23 code. But again, I was a Lone Ranger. So I couldn’t hold the throttle open and hold the test light at the same time. There for I am assuming I am currently code free.

Please let me know if it is worth putting an in line filter back in the truck or not. I’ve never had one in any of my other trucks. So I’m not familiar with the benefits versus the potential harm of an additional restriction of fluid returning to the transmission.

Is it really necessary at this stage in the transmissions life?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Am I misunderstanding what the code 26 is? I thought it was Transmission Oil Temperature Sensor. If that’s the case, I am assuming that I didn’t get the transmission up to operating temperature before running the codes. And it pulled that code because the temp was out of range. Am I wrong about that? If I am, then this is our best clue so far. Otherwise I can get the truck up to temperature and rerun the codes today.
26 is TOT out of range. You get this code when the sensor goes bad.

As for the filter, you can just toss it. It will not hurt anything without it. If anything you can do more damage when it becomes to restrictive.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
next step is to remove that in line filter and see what happens. Unless it has to be there.
That was a pretty good filter when it was new and judging by the fact that it was restricted...it did its job....it probably had a magnet in it...too...

I would carefully cut it open and look to see what it has trapped...

And...I would get another one and put it in...made sure the flow is going the right way...convertor out to cooler is the front line...cooler to back of case is the return...

On the codes...as far as I can remember...the early two-digit codes are for simple parameters...probably out-of-range...like @trackspeeder said...later styles of codes had circuit integrity (or not) and also performance codes...

I have a feeling that you are on the right track with thinking that the code popped up because of not being up to temp before the test...but I could be wrong...also...if the cooler filter was clogged...that would certainly cause the fluid to heat up more than normal...not enough flow out of the convertor...that could trigger an overheat limp mode...if there is such a thing on your system...

It is good that you followed the advice on the grounds...some people would shortcut that one...just look at them and go.."aww...looks ok..."

Grounds are my first project with anything...and hooking one up from the battery directly to the trans case...that was advised at some of the transmission classes I attended years ago...and it helped keep the pump bushing from flaking or spinning out of the pump body...

Cleaning out the main connector at the solenoid body..? I was going to suggest that...and the dielectric grease..? that too...

Good job...

Wishing you the best of luck with it...you are narrowing down the possibilities...

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Please let me know if it is worth putting an in line filter back in the truck or not. I’ve never had one in any of my other trucks. So I’m not familiar with the benefits versus the potential harm of an additional restriction of fluid returning to the transmission.

Is it really necessary at this stage in the transmissions life?
It certainly wouldn't hurt, just in case there's any more garbage in the cooler.

When I had the in laws e4od rebuilt, the shop offered a service where they flush the cooler with a fancy device that scrubs it of any contaminates. They said the only reason to run an in line filter is if they don't do that.
I'd run one for at least a couple thousand, then take it out.

94NAIDI

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I’m still not trouble free. With everything I have done so far, the tranny has never shifted and felt better than it does right now. But I am still getting the limp mode once in a while. Still hot on the trail to solve this mystery.

Does anyone know what exactly what parameters the computer compares to go into limp mode?
I’m thinking I need to systematically look into every sensor the computer watches to throw the limp mode command.
I’ve been told it compares engine speed to vehicle speed. I know the VSS is in the rear differential and that signal goes to the PSOM and from there, I believe the computer. But where exactly is the engine speed being monitored from? And where all does that signal go?

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine speed is being monitored from the tach sensor in the IP gear housing.

James

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online