Another starter thread.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a starter solenoid? issue which lead me to decide to upgrade my OEM? starter while I was addressing the problem.
I read here about the nasty top starter mounting bolt and was prepared for the fight.
I bought the recommended? Powermaster starter that I also read was easier to install and gives much better starting.
I got the existing starter off without too much trouble. Knowledge from you guys and my patience was a huge help. Thank you.
Then thunderstorms came in so I was shut down. So I dragged my tools and parts inside.

I commenced to getting things set up inside for my next chance to finish the job by "working smarter, not harder".
I wrapped strips of paper towel around the end of the nasty starter mounting bolt to hold it in place and centered in the starter flange so I wouldn't have to try to stuff it in there blindly after the fact.
Then I tried to set up my socket and extensions. That's when I realized there is a big problem.
The Powermaster starter does not allow for a socket to be used on the nasty top bolt. The only way at it is from the side.
So...at daylight...I guess I will be looking into seeing if I can get at it from the passenger wheel well. Arggh!!!!

I sold my modern vehicle because I wanted something simpler that was somewhat easy to repair myself, like my '64 Ford Falcon.
I'm starting to regret my decision.

I've replaced starters on my cars over the years. I don't think any of them took more than an hour, soup to nuts.
I was an hour into this one just getting the old one off. And I'm not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel for getting the "upgrade" one installed. :-(

Last edited:

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced mine a year or so ago, and the key for me was a wobble extension. Like you noticed, the starter doesn’t let you access the top bolt straight on. A wobble extension let me get to it at an angle, and made the job much easier.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I've always used just the stock looking starter, with a looong Extension I've never had issues getting to the top bolt.

Hope you get yours in and running soon mate

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm so excited. This is where the super fast shipping comes into play: think about it, you didn't expect to get the starter for another day or two so if it takes that long to put it on there's no real loss........ always look on the bright side of life (que whistling)

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some photos I took back when I replaced my starter, demonstrating the benefit of the wobble extension:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach
That's some fine "wobble extension demonstrating". Did you hire a hand model? Or is that really you?......I'm kidding, but everything is too clean for my style in that picture.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have wobble extensions. No go.
I can't even get the socket by itself onto the head of the bolt on my bench, never mind when it's on the truck. The housing of the starter prevents it. (see picture) Only accessible with an open-end wrench from the side (wheel well?)
I guess my weekend will be trying to get at it through the wheel well and making a custom wrench to get in there or going to NAPA and getting a crappy starter and packing up the Powermaster starter for return.
Who here recommended this starter? Must be someone that installed it when they had the engine out.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    304.9 KB · Views: 20

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna have another angry beer and send Powermaster an email asking ***? lol

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
You have my condolences, good luck getting that fender liner out

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just sent an email to Powermaster, fwiw.
Will post their response if they send one.
Glad I don't need my truck any time soon. I guess that's why some folks pay $70K to not have our problems. ;-)

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the old straight style starter and it is a bit of a pain but probably only takes 30 mins to swap out.

I have upgraded to a Nippendenso gear reduction unit that will go in my 86 with the 7.3 turbo. I will then see if it is easier or more difficult.

Definitely harder on 2WD trucks with the long Mitsu style starter. Cant hardly get it in there. Gotta be at all the correct angles. Much easier on my 4WD Bullnose than it was on my 2WD Bricknose

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just sent an email to Powermaster, fwiw.
Will post their response if they send one.
Glad I don't need my truck any time soon. I guess that's why some folks pay $70K to not have our problems. ;-)
Just recently there was talk of dealing with power master. It was @chillman88. But theyre really friendly and one of the guys on here visited the plant where they're made and everyone there is nice. It's supposed to be like Disneyland or Oz, or something. I can't remember what thread it was on, but they just carried on about how great it is. I want to go myself, definitely on the bucket list.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the old straight style starter and it is a bit of a pain but probably only takes 30 mins to swap out.

I have upgraded to a Nippendenso gear reduction unit that will go in my 86 with the 7.3 turbo. I will then see if it is easier or more difficult.

Definitely harder on 2WD trucks with the long Mitsu style starter. Cant hardly get it in there. Gotta be at all the correct angles. Much easier on my 4WD Bullnose than it was on my 2WD Bricknose
I like the planetary gear one that O'Reilly sells. But my last one was a dud.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m a Napa man as that’s the only branch of parts store within 40 miles of me, 2 of them within that radius.

Napa stuff seems decent quality, and the one in Council Grove takes really good care of me as I give them lots of business

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Like Chillman88 said in a different thread, use a swivel socket. Not a socket and a swivel. It's not Powermaster. It's all of the Nippendenso style starters that are built this way. If you all think that bolt is hard to get to on one of these, you should try it on a Delco-Remy starter. The original style on the early 6.9s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online