Another starter thread.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got a cheap nippon-denso style one from Rockauto. It’s been good so far. I’m really surprised that the casting on the powermaster doesn’t give enough room to get a socket on. I replaced that top bolt with a stud when I did my starter, that way you can hang the starter on the stud while you work. You could maybe make the stud a little shorter as well to give you some clearance to get the socket and nut on. I would stick a magnet in the socket to hold the nut inside while you fish for the stud. Good luck, and I’m sorry this is turning into an unexpected nightmare.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like I'm going to one of the auto-crap stores in the morning for a starter that I might be able to actually use and then sending my $220.00 "upgrade" Powermaster starter back to Summit Racing. Hopefully they don't expect me to pay for shipping.

Last edited:

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It took me maybe 15 minutes to install my powermaster starter. Put the top bolt in the starter with the swivel socket, extension and ratchet already on it. Hold it all up in there and tighten that bolt first. Install the bottom two bolts tight then make sure the top bolt is still tight. That's why I told you exactly what you needed in your other thread before you even had the starter show up, so you wouldn't have the headache you're dealing with right now.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got it.
I had to run to the store and get some different 1/4" wobble extensions and I did just as you said.
I taped that whole rig with the bolt in onto the top of the starter before going under the truck. Then I just stuck the starter in the hole, started the 2 lower bolts in to get it aligned, and then started turning the wrench hoping for the best...and it took.
Thank you.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online