Another fuel system overhaul thread...

WMO4IDI

Reaction score
In parallel to my PoBoy wmo centrifuge project I posted, I've made 2 custom aluminum fuel tanks & I'm redoing the entire fuel system. I was hoping to get some input from more experienced IDI guys.
You must be registered for see images attach

What my plan is:

Driver side tank is clean D2, passenger side is WMO & once my flatbed is built I'll hide the existing tank high up between the frame rails & use it as a wmo transfer tank.

So far I've only bought an AC Delco U7000 selector valve which I converted into a U7001 by taking off 3 unglued rubber caps?!? I don't feel like buying an overpriced oem switch, correct me if I'm wrong but I just need a DPDT switch to wire the valve & fuel senders?

For filtration, I was thinking 100 micron stainless mesh filters straight out of the tanks for the big stuff, then fuel filters/water seperators before the fuel selector valve and finally the stock filter/seperator.

Would 30 microns mesh filters be better right out of the tanks? I just want to catch tank crud but not create unnecessary restrictions at the first filter.

Should i just use plain filters before the selector valve?

Or replace stock by plain filter & seperators before the selector valve?

Or filter/seperators everywhere?

Here's a sketch:

The marine filter/seperators I was thinking of buying:

I would mount these underneath the sleeper behind the cab & make stone shields to be safe.

For the lines, I'm split between regular flex & hard lines or fancy stainless braided teflon with screw-up-yourself connectors. Does anyone have experience with those 20ft line & 6An connector kits? My only limitation is the AC Delco selector valve which is platic & made for rubber hose so 6An to barb adaptors would be needed there.

Besides that, I'm putting a cartridge heater by the fuel stack inside the wmo tank. Should I also get a heated fuel filter before the selector valve on that side? I have no clue how fast wmo is going to cool down while going through the fuel lines... winters average -20°C around here (-4°F) with the occasional week long -40°C/F. From tank to selector valve is about 4 feet and from the valve to the lift pump another 6-7 feet.

For anyone that's overhauled their fuel delivery system for wmo, is there anything crucial I'm missing or should do differently?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've overhauled my system for majestic NW Florida, it does get cold here but not like Ottawa I'm sure. You'll be cutting your WMO 50/50 with diesel or 80/20 with regular gas at least in your cold season I'm sure, so the pre-fuel selector valve heater is probably unnecessary. I'm thinking that your idea is just enough over-the-top that it's right on.

Oh, and as far as the 30 or 100 micron out of the tank, I wouldn't bother. You got brand new tanks and you'll be centrifuging, so what sludge will there be?

WMO4IDI

Reaction score
Oh, and as far as the 30 or 100 micron out of the tank, I wouldn't bother. You got brand new tanks and you'll be centrifuging, so what sludge will there be?
I was thinking more about dirt getting in the tanks during refills & catching it right there.

Any clue as far as the selector switch? Simple dpdt or its got fancy crossed contacts in there?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking more about dirt getting in the tanks during refills & catching it right there.

Any clue as far as the selector switch? Simple dpdt or its got fancy crossed contacts in there?
I have a manual 3way valve between the seats. And returns plumbed to the WMO tank.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you plan to run it through the winter? If so...man I gotta get off my bottom and add another project to my list.

WMO4IDI

Reaction score
Do you plan to run it through the winter? If so...man I gotta get off my bottom and add another project to my list.
Not this winter, I'm tackling major body work & building a flatbed. I'm driving it for now so i can diagnose mechanical issues... not just because it's fun as heck :)

94NAIDI

Reaction score
I live in northern Illinois and I run WMO year round. I start the trucks on diesel and end my drive on diesel. Everything in between is WMO. My formula is 40 gallons of 90/10 mixed with 15 gallons straight diesel. I do centrifuge the WMO and then well mix the other ingredients in afterwards. Mine is obviously a dual tank setup with zero heaters in the truck fuel system. I do run a 30 micron filter post WMO tank pre fuel pump. I run this same formula and truck fuel system setup in a mechanical lift pumped IDI, a Mechanical lift pump Powerstroke, and an electric lift pump Powerstroke. I have had zero issues in the cold with any of the three trucks.

WMO4IDI

Reaction score
What does the 90/10 mean? Filter rating? Sorry to be such a noob.

Or maybe 90% WMO, 10% RUG?
That's what i got from it, 90 wmo 10 rug & then add 15 gals of D2. I'll give it a shot but with our -40s up here it might be a bit thick for January/February.

kbenz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran both my returns to my wmo tank at first but if I ran any length of time on diesel I could watch my fuel gauge drop a little too fast for me. I ended up separating them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.