Hey, it's another air intrusion thread! Just for fun though.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or it might just be another motorcycle instead. Certainly nothing shiny here.
See!, There's a fine example of gravity feed simplicity and reliability. You can keep that on back of your truck for when the IDI starts sucking air.

And hey, there's a Big Red 250 on my local craigslist that is love to get. I'm just not up to any extra stuff though.

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
I know what climbing up to fill your tank(s) is like. I have 3 50gal tanks in the bed of my deuce, which is over 4' from the ground. I definitely don't have any air intrusion issues but I did have to put a cut off in the line from the tank so that I could change the filters w/o draining my tank all over me. :cool:

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran out to get hay this morning..........it's sucking air!!! I can keep it at 15-1800rpm and do fine, but it's just like it was before I replaced the fuel pump a month or so ago. Dang! Electric pump or gravity feed is in my future.

Hey! What if we seal our fuel system really good, I mean REALLY good, with a screw on cap to boot. And then use our vacuum pump in reverse to create pressure and pressurize our fuel system with a regulator set at 5psi and just blow the fuel into our engine? What do you think?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know, the vacuum pumps do have an "exhaust" on them. Why couldn't you use one to do both at the same time? The down side is that at the rate they're failing, there'd be a lot of non-running IDI powered trucks on the side of the road.
That's what I was thinking. It would make that part more efficient.

And the fuel pumps are failing just as fast, so now we can focus on one part instead of 2.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran out to get hay this morning..........it's sucking air!!! I can keep it at 15-1800rpm and do fine, but it's just like it was before I replaced the fuel pump a month or so ago. Dang! Electric pump or gravity feed is in my future.

Hey! What if we seal our fuel system really good, I mean REALLY good, with a screw on cap to boot. And then use our vacuum pump in reverse to create pressure and pressurize our fuel system with a regulator set at 5psi and just blow the fuel into our engine? What do you think?
Why would it suck air if your lift pump died? Should have zero pressure, not suck air, no? I've had my system drawing air when I had WMO and diesel in cold weather(no RUG). About tore my hair out until I realized it was drawing air from the seals around the fittings at the tank. I never replaced them but the same tank with straight diesel never sucked air, then would do it with WMO mixed, and back and forth. All the fittings were tight everywhere else, seemed like it had to be those Ford quick-disconnects. A little online sleuthing and I guess it's a common problem.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would it suck air if your lift pump died? Should have zero pressure, not suck air, no? I've had my system drawing air when I had WMO and diesel in cold weather(no RUG). About tore my hair out until I realized it was drawing air from the seals around the fittings at the tank. I never replaced them but the same tank with straight diesel never sucked air, then would do it with WMO mixed, and back and forth. All the fittings were tight everywhere else, seemed like it had to be those Ford quick-disconnects. A little online sleuthing and I guess it's a common problem.
You might be right, but I got it pretty thin right now and I can see air bubbles. I replaced the fuel pump a month or so back because it was doing this and it was fine until the other day.

And I replaced the quick connects with clamped fuel line, because I thought that was my issue before I realized it was the pump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86