Blue Smoke at cold idle, White smoke after descent/climb (air intrusion)

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@IDIBRONCO oh!! I was thinking the rear tank alone is 50 gallons.

I read posts about it on the sportsmobile and I think Ujoint 4x4 conversions or YouTube videos.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't know about any others but his. I did see his and he did bypass the FSV at my garage. He had two stock sized tanks just like the vans did. Of course his is a 1985. The tanks may have been changed for newer models or for government models.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

That is as far as I can advance the timing without loosening the injection lines.

I have to drive it on Monday so I will report back then!

Thanks!

bumblebeer

Reaction score

That is as far as I can advance the timing without loosening the injection lines.

I have to drive it on Monday so I will report back then!

Thanks!

Glad to hear it is already performing better! Hopefully you'll see a bit of an improvement Monday as well. As long as it's diving good enough, I wouldn't worry too much about it right now anyway since you have a timing meter in the mail! :cheers:

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Yeah I bet you will see a good bit of improvement and realization once you get the timing meter. My superduty was down around 4.1ish when I got it and advancing it to 8.5+ required quite a bit of movement, easily several dimes widths. I dont know how exact it is but it seemed as though 1 degree = a dime or penny width of adjustment. I'll get a shot my the marks on my pump at some point, although my truck being at 230K has an OEM replacement pump with unknown mileage but no timing marks were on it when I checked.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For everyone on this thread. The last timing adjustment has made a difference. No smoke! I can actually press the footfeet past halfway before i get black smoke, new for me. And I actually slowly accelerated up some hills that would never happen before. (8k’ elevation +)

Thanks to you all, what I thought was an air intrusion issue was actually a timing issue. Cant wait to time it correctly when my meter shows up.

Going down this road I discovered they were supplying my IP with 1/4 hose.

And now my IP does not return through the injector return lines (peace of mind -Lame)

I filled the tank and have a heavy dose of hotshot’s secret in there.

And I am thankful for everyone here!!

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Am I missing any bits?

I might be able to learn how to time this thing. Although I have no clue how to get to the lower injection lines on the pump without praying for patience first!!

Do I need a special bent wrench?

ISPKI

Reaction score
Looks like you got everything you need.

Clamp at top left is the clamp that locks onto your #1 injector line.

Wire to the bottom left connects that clamp to the meter (Spade terminal goes on the clamp).

Wire to the right is the magnetic pickup probe. that goes in one of the holes on the bracket by the harmonic balancer.

Theres a writeup somewhere here and usually you have to do some cleanup on the injector line and the harmonic balancer and bracket to get it to fit since those are usually kinda gunked up. The key is to get everything clean clean clean. Scrub the injector line as close to the injector as possible to clean metal. Clean the hole on the bracket by the balancer with I believe a 5/16 drill bit and wipe down the balancer housing so its clear to pickup a signal.

You will want to place a business card between the bracket and the balancer, then insert the probe so that it just lands on the business card. That sets the probe tip close but not touching the surface its trying to pickup.

ISPKI

Reaction score
You should be able to access the lower injector lines with an offset 5/8" open ended wrench or a crows foot wrench or something like that.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clamp at top left is the clamp that locks onto your #1 injector line.
I think we “free candy” people use the #4 injector. At least that is the odd looking one for me. Has an extra piece.

Thanks for verifying!! I really appreciate it!!

Oh and the “free candy” is a joke. My van has windows and we are candyfree LOL

I just woke up for night shift and I’m delirious

ISPKI

Reaction score
Right. Vans and Internationals time on #4 cylinder.
I didnt know that! Whats the reason for timing on Cylinder 4 vs 1? Is the pickup mark on the balancer just in a different location on those engines?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online