losing my mind o/d light flashing

boogyman2003

Reaction score
hello my friends I've finally found you. this is exciting and I'm hoping you can help me ... I am the proud owner of a 94 f350 k code 7.3 turbo dually diesel and man do I love this truck ...
but here's the caveat... I have read so many forums about the dreaded flashing od light .... ill tell you what I've done so far and maybe just maybe some one here can guide me in the right direction ... before I guide my truck off a cliff.so here goes ..... no led's anywhere . good grounds all cleaned and or replaced .. brake light switch is good park neutral switch on the side if the trans is good all connectors are good and clean instrument cluster has been rebuilt and tested tps ohm's out with-in spec vss also and all there wiring.... tcm is good put it in a truck that had no issues and drove it around for a week with no issues cleaned and reinstalled back into my truck I'm losing my mind guys ... ive invested close to 20,000 into this machine because its my dream truck oh also the trans was rebuilt and upgraded in april of this year ... and I've only gone maybe 20 miles since then on test drives what am i doing wrong ... please help me thank you !!!!

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going through the same grief right now. Had a good transmission freshened up a year ago while there were still parts and capable rebuilders available. Now, 4,000 miles later I wish I would left it alone. First I found a 1 volt AC Ripple - so I replaced the alternator - still no joy. Next I replaced the PCM - joy for about 3 weeks and back to the flashing OD. Freshened up every ground I could find - they were all good before I cleaned them up. Cleaned the speed sensor. Checked the diode that powers the PCM. All this time the code reader wouldn't work. Yesterday I did get an 11 (system OK) and a 43 (TIP out of range) tested the TIP - all good. Unhooked the alternator for S's & G's and drove it today and my 3rd replacement SONY radio got hot and stopped working but no flashing OD light. After 29 easy, carefree miles I'm in h---. It must be a wiring issue - maybe unrelated to the transmission. Good thing I'm retired and can putter away with the darned thing at my leisure.
It's a well cared for truck, looks good and used to run good.

boogyman2003

Reaction score
Unfortunately track speeder around here a code reader is hard to find most of the older mechanics are out of business and wont help and the younger ones just have no clue .. it spent forever at the trans shop and its going back today I noticed its leaking trans fluid and I want the to check the solenoids in the trans. and greenie what is the tip that a 3 letter word I haven't heard yet... and also my truck was for the most part taken care of only has 185k on the clock

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang. Makes my ignition problem seem trivial by comparison.
Good luck, gentlemen. I wish I had some advice for you.

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TPS has several names I made a new one by accident last post- it's not the TIP it's the TPS the throttle position sensor - a rheostat on the driver's side of the injection pump that tells the PCM what the throttle is (idle to full). Had another suggestion from Steve (a member here) ... PSOM. But I haven't dug into it yet
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something between the switch and the solenoid on the fender, I believe.
So I guess I gotta replace that wire. I think I've confirmed that everything else in the circuit is good.
Before I delve into that I want to test that wire for continuity to see if that's the culprit. And I've been dragging my feet.
I have a thread going on that, and the starter. Check it out if you're interested.

Aprilsfool

Reaction score
Is it 4wd? The reason for the flash is because engine speed and output
Speed is not right. Meaning the torque converter clutch is slipping.
The vss is not working. Something wrong with solenoid or the wrong solenoid in trans. If you will just do a simple code read that will get you pointed in the right direction. All it takes is a paper clip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online