Reverse Lights, ZF5 (all other lights work)

SouthernIDI

Reaction score
I haven't found a thread talking about this for the ZF5. My reverse lights on my truck are not working and haven't worked sense I
purchased the truck. Normally I would just throw some auxiliary back up lights on it and call it a day, but I would really like for them
to work properly on this truck. If someone could help me get started in the right direction with the wiring, that should be all I need.
I could figure out the rest from there. I would just figure that maybe someone might know a common issue with these or at least a good
starting point.

Thanks Men.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd check the switch and plug on the transmission itself and if they check out start chasing wires. Obviously check the bulbs and sockets too. But it should really be that straight forward. And at some point someone is going to say "check your body ground" so do that too.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thing I would look at is the plug on the side of the transmission, common for them to get unplugged (the clips that hold the connector arent great and driving throughtall grass can pull the harness from the switch).

If it is still plugged in, unplugged it and jump across the 2 wires with the key on. If the lights come on then the switch on transmission is bad.

Also check the bulbs if you haven't already, those are actually pretty common to be burnt out.

That's the first places I would look.

James

SouthernIDI

Reaction score
First thing I would look at is the plug on the side of the transmission, common for them to get unplugged (the clips that hold the connector arent great and driving throughtall grass can pull the harness from the switch).

If it is still plugged in, unplugged it and jump across the 2 wires with the key on. If the lights come on then the switch on transmission is bad.

Also check the bulbs if you haven't already, those are actually pretty common to be burnt out.

That's the first places I would look.

James
I'd check the switch and plug on the transmission itself and if they check out start chasing wires. Obviously check the bulbs and sockets too. But it should really be that straight forward. And at some point someone is going to say "check your body ground" so do that too.
Thanks men, I had already tested the socket with no luck there. Ill check out that sensor next and try jumping it out.
I would say all my grounds are good, i just finished rebuilding the whole charging system on the truck, but thanks for the
insight.

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks men, I had already tested the socket with no luck there. Ill check out that sensor next and try jumping it out.
I would say all my grounds are good, i just finished rebuilding the whole charging system on the truck, but thanks for the
insight.
The suspense is killing me.... how did this story end?

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was asking because that's what I've been messing with today on mine. I just ordered a new switch and connector. My connector was definitely trashed but I'm not certain about the switch, I bought one anyway since they're inexpensive. I was mostly curious as to whether the same switch fits a 5 speed and a 4 speed transmission. I only found switches that said they were for 4 speed manual on rock auto. I figured... how does it know?

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was asking because that's what I've been messing with today on mine. I just ordered a new switch and connector. My connector was definitely trashed but I'm not certain about the switch, I bought one anyway since they're inexpensive. I was mostly curious as to whether the same switch fits a 5 speed and a 4 speed transmission. I only found switches that said they were for 4 speed manual on rock auto. I figured... how does it know?
I have never really compared the 2 but I am fairly sure they are the same.

James

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score

James
From what little I can remember, they look pretty similar. It makes sense to me to keep such a simple part around and use it for many years in many different vehicles.

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what little I can remember, they look pretty similar. It makes sense to me to keep such a simple part around and use it for many years in many different vehicles.
That's what I'm going with. If not, like I said, they're inexpensive enough that it won't break the bank. Thanks.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was mostly curious as to whether the same switch fits a 5 speed and a 4 speed transmission. I only found switches that said they were for 4 speed manual on rock auto. I figured... how does it know?
They may indeed be the same. But I will throw this in there, the 4 speeds are American with standard fasteners, the 5 speeds are all metric foreign made.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They may indeed be the same. But I will throw this in there, the 4 speeds are American with standard fasteners, the 5 speeds are all metric foreign made.
This could be a good point. As I said before I have never actually removed and compared them. I know they use the same electrical plug and work on the same momentary push button style switch. I'm not sure about the length of the nose or the thread size or pitch.

James

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very good point. My transmission even says made in Germany on it. I'll find out once the new switch arrives and I'll post photographic evidence of the results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online