Massive coolant leak on block above starter

mexicanfooddude

Reaction score
hi everyone, thanks for the help in advance.

Just picked up a 1983 F250 6.9idi with 37,000 miles (!!) Walked out of the grocery store on the second outing in the truck, 5 mile drive, and the truck wouldn't start... then noticed a huge pool of coolant under it (all the coolant). I took a picture and a video, it was dripping from some sort of wired plug or sensor on the block just above the starter... picture attached. Can anyone help me identify this?
You must be registered for see images attach

I'm hoping whatever this issue is, it resolves the starting problem too. On the first out after buying it, the truck stalled at cruising speed in 4th gear and then wouldn't start until it completely cooled down. Seems to have this starting issue only when hot.

Thanks again for the help!

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is the block heater. It is 110 vac when plugged in. You need to remove the heater and see what is happening. Drain all of the coolant before you remove the heater or you will have coolant everywhere. :)

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the block heater. Follow the plug. If it's an electrical outlet to plug into a home outlet that's definitely it and probably just needs replaced. Pretty sure all your coolant from the block comes with it when you take it out.

Doesn't explain your starting issue though, when you say it wouldn't start did it turn over and not fire or not even turn over?

mexicanfooddude

Reaction score
Thanks for the help! I'll drain the coolant and remove it tomorrow.

As far as the starting issue... it'll turn over but won't start. It stalled on me at cruising speed. I tried to restart immediately, no luck. Waited a couple minutes, got it to start, got it up to second gear, then it stalled again. A couple minutes later I got it started again, this time just let it idle and it stalled within 30 seconds. I couldn't get it started after that. Next day however, it started up. Got it to the grocery store 5 miles away without issue, then came out and it wouldnt start and there was coolant everywhere.

Based on these two outings, the starting issue seems to only occur once warmed up.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced that heater thing with a freeze plug. That hole is different than the rest and it takes a regular freeze plug. Imo you dont need the heater unless you live in siberia.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help! I'll drain the coolant and remove it tomorrow.

As far as the starting issue... it'll turn over but won't start. It stalled on me at cruising speed. I tried to restart immediately, no luck. Waited a couple minutes, got it to start, got it up to second gear, then it stalled again. A couple minutes later I got it started again, this time just let it idle and it stalled within 30 seconds. I couldn't get it started after that. Next day however, it started up. Got it to the grocery store 5 miles away without issue, then came out and it wouldnt start and there was coolant everywhere.

Based on these two outings, the starting issue seems to only occur once warmed up.

How much fuel is in the tank? The fuel pickup “showerhead” can break off and you can not use the last quarter tank, because the pick up line now doesn’t reach the bottom of the tank........

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Can you tell us what level the fuel tanks were when you lost power and had difficult starts. If its near the 1/4 tank level you probably have broken off suction heads in the tanks. Simple fix is never let the fuel level reach that 1/4 level. There are several ways to open the tanks and repair the broken suction lines too. As already posted. your block heater has started leaking. Sad news is this area of the 83 blocks sometimes cracks. I'm not sure your block is cracked but I do see a "clean spot" that looks suspect.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, stalling while running is almost always fuel not being available, or the FSS wire losing power/coming off.

Check the fss wire first - frontmost wire on the IP, with the key on, the IP should click when you connect/disconnect that wire.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where the coolant is coming out, that's the block heater. It looks like it's not to old, it has a rubber ring around it to seal, the sealing is expanded by a screw in the center of it. After draining the coolant, back off the screw and pull it out, the heater element faces to the right. If the rubber is still flexible, put it back in and tighten it up so as not to leak. Do Not use a sealer on the rubber.

If you don't use the heater, any hardware store has a plumbers plug of the correct size that you can use to plug the block.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question for the ones that know. Is this truck in the year range where the block heater area would crack? If so maybe the rubber plug would be the best route?

I don't want to spread misinformation but if it's an issue that should be brought up....

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question for the ones that know. Is this truck in the year range where the block heater area would crack? If so maybe the rubber plug would be the best route?

I don't want to spread misinformation but if it's an issue that should be brought up....
Yes it is, I wouldn’t use that block heater if it were my truck

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the tank you are using has more than a 1/4 tank of fuel, and you only have starting issues when the truck is warm..... heat soak possibly is the issue. How many miles are on the injection pump? How about fuel pressure? Any way to check that at the fuel filter head?

Heath

mexicanfooddude

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the help! Haven't checked this in a few days due to holiday.

The truck is an '83. The fuel gauge was showing 3/4 tank when it stalled... still at 3/4 tank (obviously!).

I'm in coastal California so I don't have any need for the block heater. I can't imagine it's been used in years. There was a slow coolant leak the previous owner told me about, but he didn't know where it was coming from. I'm guessing it was coming from the block heater and on the last drive the dam broke.

What does "FSS" stand for?

The injection pump is original I believe. The previous owner just replaced the fuel pump a month ago.

I'm going to tackle the block heater today, just replace it with a freeze plug. Really hoping the block isn't cracked. I'll keep everyone updated...

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to Home Depot and get a plumbers plug to replace it. Much better than trying to locate a freeze plug. Also injection pumps that are worn won’t start when hot unless you dump water on them but I’ve never seen one die while running

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online