low compression

itmmik

Reaction score
i have a 1989 f350 flat bed low compression 100 on some 200 on others can hed gaskets be blown on both sides at the same time
i bought the truck not running he bought an injector pump just had the trans rebuild 122 miles on it. clean truck no rust no damage
it just shut off he got a lot of bad info on fixing the truck found compression problem after reassembling any thoughts on this

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you have the individual cylinder numbers? if its neighboring cylinders it may be the head gasket

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely post all the numbers - but the heads are going to have to come off (as a minimum) with numbers in the 100's and only 200's on the good ones... Hopefully it's not time for a complete rebuild!

I wonder if it was badly overheated - that can certainly blow head gaskets on both banks...

itmmik

Reaction score
thanks i will write down numbers tonight what is the best place to by rebuild kit for it
only have 1200 in it he payed 1800.00 for the trans work

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Before you go about pricing/buying rebuild kits, I suggest that you tear the heads off of the engine and see what's wrong. If the cylinders and pistons look fine, then I don't see any point to rebuilding the entire engine.

itmmik

Reaction score
compression numbers
1- 100 2- 100 3- 275 4 - 75
5- 75 6- 50 7- 250 8- 175 yea boy them some good numbers
pulling heads

Reggie f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do a leak down test first. At least put air in each cylinder to find out where it comes out. Rings valves or head gaskets so you know which way to go.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run it and take off the oil fill cap. If you're getting blowby like a steam train I'd say it's time for rings.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Did you say he just put the engine back together? If so what work did he do?

Ditto on -

1) Leak down test via glow plug holes. Take off oil and radiator caps so you can hear leaks or bubbles. You are in a sense testing for piston ring seal leaks. Little to no leak rebuild heads and re-install heads. Lots of air past the rings, a rebuild or minimum Hone, pistons, and rings.
2) Pull the heads and see what you find. Send pics and we can weigh in on next steps.
3) If he just re-ringed it could be he did not hone it or did not lube the rings. So you are getting low compression as the rings have not seated but let us know what you referred to above about “after resemble”.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
whats the condition of the engine?
has it been sitting long?
was the engine cold?
compression test dont tell you much, just if it builds compression,
DO A LEAK DOWN TEST!
ALSO, squirt some oil down the cylinders and rotate it a few times.
stuck rings can give you false readings