low brake pedal

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I have a low pedal in my 86. I thought for sure it was rear brake adjustment , but after 3-4 clicks per side and a quick test drive. That was obviously not my problem.:dunno Any ideas. It had a good brake pedal. But now it is gone and does not stop so well. I only put 5-6k on it in 2 years just to show how little i drive it. I am going to need it this weekend to tow a 12k mini excavator so i would like the brakes to be up to par

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Master cylinder? could be leaking.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Well next place is you rabs spliter box. Makes them act funny

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should be on the frame rail under the drivers feet if it has a rabs valve. That was what my problem was when my pedal wasn't setting right.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is all dry;Sweet

just because it is dry doesn't mean its not bypassing internally.
does the brake pedal hold firm when holding it? does it sneak to the floor? does it have vacuum brakes?, maybe a little vacuum leak? how did you adjust the rear brakes? maybe a good cleaning and adjustment is in order? maybe the frt brake slides are preventing one caliper from fulling in-gauging? brake hoses, did you ck those? one could be going bad and swelling up when brakes are applied? explain how you adjusted the rear brakes

or maybe it is that part your truck doesnt have, ha ha ha just kidding

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
just because it is dry doesn't mean its not bypassing internally.
does the brake pedal hold firm when holding it? does it sneak to the floor? does it have vacuum brakes?, maybe a little vacuum leak? how did you adjust the rear brakes? maybe a good cleaning and adjustment is in order? maybe the frt brake slides are preventing one caliper from fulling in-gauging? brake hoses, did you ck those? one could be going bad and swelling up when brakes are applied? explain how you adjusted the rear brakes
or maybe it is that part your truck doesnt have, ha ha ha just kidding

I'll try to answer all the questions.
does the brake pedal hold firm when holding it YES
does it sneak to the floor? NO
does it have vacuum brakes? YES
maybe a little vacuum leak? MAYBE
How did you adjust the rear brakes? Jacked up the rear and took about 4-5 clicks on the adjuster to get sufficent drag on the drums
maybe the frt brake slides are preventing one caliper from fulling in-gauging? will have to check sliders
brake hoses, did you ck those? Stainless Skyjacker ones

has soem brakes just not alot. O it also has EBS slotted rottors and green pads

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Check your vacuum pump and booster. Not uncommon for one of these to go 'soft' (notice I didn't say fail ;) )

If you like your truck a lot, I recommend the hydroboost swap. You'll have stronger braking than stock. ;Sweet

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have seen with trucks that sit a lot that adjusting the rear brakes like that wont always help. best way to do it is to remove the rear drums, take your hands and hit each pad to loosen them up and then slide the drum back on, then wiggle it a little bit, to much wiggle means remove the drum and do it all over again, but always hit each pad after adjusting them, it helps seat them and makes a better adjustment, its worth a shot, and its free

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
i have seen with trucks that sit a lot that adjusting the rear brakes like that wont always help. best way to do it is to remove the rear drums, take your hands and hit each pad to loosen them up and then slide the drum back on, then wiggle it a little bit, to much wiggle means remove the drum and do it all over again, but always hit each pad after adjusting them, it helps seat them and makes a better adjustment, its worth a shot, and its free

Could alway get brakes close that way but always had to reach in the inspection hole and tighen them up more

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can push the parking brake down more than half way, the rear needs adjusted up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online