Love my truck but really want/need 4x4

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got rid of my D50 TTB setup. If you have one that's in good shape they're fine axles, but when they get worn they like to destroy tires (mine killed 4 in 20k miles). It's also damn near impossible to find a shop that'll touch that mess, much less do it correctly. And if you have a D50, don't plan on making any U-turns :D

They are absolutely dirt cheap to find used though, half the time people will be willing to pay you just to get it off their property. And if it's already out of the truck, you can rebuild it and make it nice before putting it under your truck, the actual parts needed are very inexpensive and the tools can be rented. A D60 swap is still a much better solution, but I'd take a D50 over 2WD any day.
Pretty much. A non-worn-out TTB will do just fine, but once the rubber bushings are gone, it sags a bit and wears tires out.
Otherwise, it's a very simple setup - very few parts. Turning radius is a bit larger than a solid axle, but not that bad.
As far as finding a shop, yeah, it takes someone who knows TTBs. I found a good guy up here in Sandpoint who does all my TTB work(Elite Tire).

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And you HAVE to pay attention. I dropped my 2wd off at a local trusted alignment shop and all they set was the toe. Caster and camber are the ones that are often ignored because nobody wants to bother setting them right because it takes effort. They're also the ones that cause the most issues with the TTB from what I've read.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, after a lot of research that is my backup plan. There's another guy on here with a trutrac, I can't remember his name. They're good units from what I've read.
I put a trutrac in my 10.25. It’s no locker but it’s a million times better than open diff and completely unnoticed daily driving and towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Runningaford

Reaction score
If you don't have to, then I wouldn't sell the truck. I think we've all seen how older rigs of most sorts, are going up in price. It's not a coincidence; look at the crap their peddling for new anymore; it's got all the same mechanical issues that can go wrong with them, but buried under a mountain of interlocking electronics, that can cost more than the value of even a later model car to repair.

True story, a family member has a 2011 Hyundai Genesis, thank god for them, they bought the extended warranty, as the dealer couldn't find which chip, sensor, or other superfluous piece of junk was the problem; they just kept replacing chips as they went. The car blue book value I think was around 12k, but it cost nearly 10k in chips before it was fixed. The clincher to that story, there was no bad bearing, race, cv-joint, et el, that would normally be the 'no go', but instead a stupid little government, and environmental bullcrap chip.

I'd go with a trutrac, a couple sand bags over the rear tires, and maybe siped tires; move towards the 4x4 conversion as money, and finances alllow.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don't have to, then I wouldn't sell the truck. I think we've all seen how older rigs of most sorts, are going up in price. It's not a coincidence; look at the crap their peddling for new anymore; it's got all the same mechanical issues that can go wrong with them, but buried under a mountain of interlocking electronics, that can cost more than the value of even a later model car to repair.

True story, a family member has a 2011 Hyundai Genesis, thank god for them, they bought the extended warranty, as the dealer couldn't find which chip, sensor, or other superfluous piece of junk was the problem; they just kept replacing chips as they went. The car blue book value I think was around 12k, but it cost nearly 10k in chips before it was fixed. The clincher to that story, there was no bad bearing, race, cv-joint, et el, that would normally be the 'no go', but instead a stupid little government, and environmental bullcrap chip.

I'd go with a trutrac, a couple sand bags over the rear tires, and maybe siped tires; move towards the 4x4 conversion as money, and finances alllow.
Man I’d think that would qualify for lemons law wouldn’t it?

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing I’ve been very adamant about on my 2wd truck is buying tires that have the 3 peaks inside a snow flake. That means they passed a very difficult snow and ice test that most tires can’t

Matt_INW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah new cars are just insane. My last new car was in 2007 SUV, sold it a few years ago. My current cars are this 91 IDI, a 98 Suburban, and the a 94 Caddy I got recently (4.9 not head gasket horror 4.6). I have a relative who bought a new Duramax 2 years ago. The fuel system blew apart in the 1st 6 months. Free under warranty, 7-9k out of warranty.

I don't think I'll ever get a new car unless I have money to burn.

As for Tires, yeah I suppose I could have tried getting actual snow tires, was just worried if I ended up regretting it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you have the means of changing out frames, I have a CC 4x4 frame for sale. and I have D60 conversion kits for sale too. :D

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
2005+ SD axles would be a slick 4x4 swap on a 2wd :Thumbs Up

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hahaha that sounds oddly familiar. I don't think I would ever buy a new car w/o an extended warranty so figure at least another 3k to 5k on top of a sticker price for 2005 or newer vehicle. I had a '03 6.0, left me stranded twice due to the icp sensor. Ended up having to solder in a new pigtrail. Horrible loaction to try and solder as well. Sold the truck.

Then a 2012 Ram 4.7 that the $1.33 fuel pump relay went out on. Thankfully Ram/Fiat thought it be best to solder that $1.33 relay to a $1200 relay board. I bypassed the fuse box, wired up a auto store relay and sold the truck and I am much happier with my old 87 diesel that doesn't need emissions.

The best was the 2012 emissions/mph regulations. The auto companies dumped things like spare tires because the less weight meant it could make the mpg requirements. My dad's new car came with a can of fix a flat. If you want the spare, you have to go out and buy it.

Matt_INW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm like 2 hours away from you, and can offer help, advice and parts maby?

One thought conversion wise is to go with a Dana 50 TTB. The Dana 60 front axles are better, yes, but very expensive. The TTB stuff is just about as strong, but nobody likes them and they are dirt cheap - You can probably pick up an entire front end for under $200. Mainly because they are under basically every 4x4 F-250 extended cab - of which there are tons.

There are places like Garwood wrecking over north of Coeur De Elane that I know has several rigs. They will even pull stuff for you.
Arrow Auto Salvage up north of Sandpoint has stuff and it's really cheap, but you have to pull it yourself.

The only expensive part is the transmission - but you may be able to sell yours to make up most of the money.
Hi @Macrobb :)

After checking off and on awhile, I may have found a truck. A 91 manual extended cab 4x4 for $1,000. Would you still be willing to help "a lot"? :) I have "tools", but do I have all the right ones? I don't know, I don't have a transmission jack though I think one could be rented.

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1k seems like a good price for complete (running?) parts truck. I"m sure the folks here can get you through it, but don't under estimate the amount of work. Unless you are a professional mechanic, I expect it will take you a long time to complete if you are currently working and can't spend all your time on it. Just plan and set expectations accordingly.

Having said that - How hard can it be?

Matt_INW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it’s complete and running. But the engine needs a ring job and two cylinders have low compression. But I don’t need the engine, mine is in great shape and only 140k miles or so on it.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you are going to bite the bullet and do the 4WD, but a locker rear end and genuine winter tires would help you a lot. Putting a load in the bed will help too.

Don't let me talk you out of a good project, but a locker, an extra set of rims and two new snow specific sneakers could be an easier solution. By the way: if you still feel like doing the conversion, your locker and new tires are still usable.

Good luck to you, whichever way you go

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online