Love my truck but really want/need 4x4

Matt_INW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I don't post often, and I actually haven't visiting the forums for awhile until the last few days.

So, I love my truck, but it's RWD. It's just a bit too much effort and dicey commuting to work in it in the winter from the house we moved to in Janurary. Previously going to work was flat and a few miles, now it's 14 miles and hills etc, in particular some downton stuff with stop and go traffic (Spokane).

So, I recently got a FWD car for commuting to work in the winters. But I partly regret it.

The truck only has 130k original miles on it and I've put a decent amount of $ into it as well.

I've been searching for a 4x4 CC IDI out there, but they ALL seem to have 200k or more on them, or the few that are under 200k the sellers want 10k or even more for them (Washington state and nearby states).

I know a few people have converted their RWD's to 4x4's, but I think it's beyond my abilities. I asked the local diesel shop I take it to when I can't do something and they said it would probably end up costing $3-5k to convert to 4x4.

So, thoughts? I'm sort of thinking to put it for sale and hope eventually to find a lower miles 4x4 CC IDI, but so far I'm not liking the odds of it happening.

Thanks,
Matt

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My self, I have plans to convert my RWD to 4X4 as soon as I can find a donor vehicle at a decent price. I have the ability an facilities to do it. If you really like the truck it might we worth paying someone to convert it for you.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be converting mine. If you can find a place to do the work, your BEST bet is going to be to find a same/similar year crew cab 4x4 and swap anything you want to keep over to it, regardless of the mileage. You'll be better off dollar wise and you'll still have a 2wd truck to sell after the fact. Best of both worlds in my opinion.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

BlackNoma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on finding a donor truck and making the truck you want and selling the "spare".

If you can muster the right tools and a couple of friends, you would be surprised what you can do in a weekend.

The best way to learn is jump in and do it.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put something like an Eaton Truetrac in the rear end? That and some top-notch snow tires might be good enough for winter street driving.

For what it's worth, after a lot of research that is my backup plan. There's another guy on here with a trutrac, I can't remember his name. They're good units from what I've read.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 4x4s, but they have factory limited slip in the rear end, and I rarely even lock the front hubs, let alone shift into 4 high.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
In snowy or icy weather, I usually lock the hubs and leave it in 2 high. I just drive with care and only use 4x4 if I slide off the road.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I don't post often, and I actually haven't visiting the forums for awhile until the last few days.

So, I love my truck, but it's RWD. It's just a bit too much effort and dicey commuting to work in it in the winter from the house we moved to in Janurary. Previously going to work was flat and a few miles, now it's 14 miles and hills etc, in particular some downton stuff with stop and go traffic (Spokane).

So, I recently got a FWD car for commuting to work in the winters. But I partly regret it.

The truck only has 130k original miles on it and I've put a decent amount of $ into it as well.

I've been searching for a 4x4 CC IDI out there, but they ALL seem to have 200k or more on them, or the few that are under 200k the sellers want 10k or even more for them (Washington state and nearby states).

I know a few people have converted their RWD's to 4x4's, but I think it's beyond my abilities. I asked the local diesel shop I take it to when I can't do something and they said it would probably end up costing $3-5k to convert to 4x4.

So, thoughts? I'm sort of thinking to put it for sale and hope eventually to find a lower miles 4x4 CC IDI, but so far I'm not liking the odds of it happening.

Thanks,
Matt
I'm like 2 hours away from you, and can offer help, advice and parts maby?

One thought conversion wise is to go with a Dana 50 TTB. The Dana 60 front axles are better, yes, but very expensive. The TTB stuff is just about as strong, but nobody likes them and they are dirt cheap - You can probably pick up an entire front end for under $200. Mainly because they are under basically every 4x4 F-250 extended cab - of which there are tons.

There are places like Garwood wrecking over north of Coeur De Elane that I know has several rigs. They will even pull stuff for you.
Arrow Auto Salvage up north of Sandpoint has stuff and it's really cheap, but you have to pull it yourself.

The only expensive part is the transmission - but you may be able to sell yours to make up most of the money.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove a 2wd (460ish, 5spd) 13 years in Colorado only got stuck 3 times, didnt have to be pulled out at all. Shoveled the bed full to the top with snow, took my time getting everywhere.
Got my first 4wd 10 years ago, wouldn't go back but rarely if ever use it, but do lock it in just to keep it freed up.
Of course it's up to you what you want to get into, swap in all the parts, buy a new truck or get something and swap over your good low miles parts to it.
The easier way would be to buy a 4wd but if you really like your current truck go with it.
Like blacknoma said it amazing what you can do with a couple good friends and a weekend, some cold ones don't hurt either...

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
For what it's worth, after a lot of research that is my backup plan. There's another guy on here with a trutrac, I can't remember his name. They're good units from what I've read.

A lunchbox locker is cheaper and more effective. I run a Lockright in my D250 and W250.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lunchbox locker is cheaper and more effective. I run a Lockright in my D250 and W250.

Depends on what you want. I don't personally want a full locker in my tow rig. In the snow a trutrac isn't going to be as likely to kick sideways either like a locker might.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Depends on what you want. I don't personally want a full locker in my tow rig. In the snow a trutrac isn't going to be as likely to kick sideways either like a locker might.

Definitely depends on what a guy wants... I prefer locked for towing and snow.

About the only time I find a locker to be a PITA is with an auto trans.

Matt_INW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone. It does have a factory limited slip differential.

@Macrobb thank you for the offer. What's "wrong" with the Dana 50 TTB? Not quite as reliable but good overall? The parts trucks currently on Craigslist "nearby" are $1,500 and $2,200. I assume the $200 doesn't include transmission?

There's a 92 in good shape and 185k miles for sale on Oregon Craigslist for $7,500. I'd jump on that if I could. Maybe after some other stuff sells, it will probably be long gone by then.

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's "wrong" with the Dana 50 TTB? Not quite as reliable but good overall?
I just got rid of my D50 TTB setup. If you have one that's in good shape they're fine axles, but when they get worn they like to destroy tires (mine killed 4 in 20k miles). It's also damn near impossible to find a shop that'll touch that mess, much less do it correctly. And if you have a D50, don't plan on making any U-turns :D

They are absolutely dirt cheap to find used though, half the time people will be willing to pay you just to get it off their property. And if it's already out of the truck, you can rebuild it and make it nice before putting it under your truck, the actual parts needed are very inexpensive and the tools can be rented. A D60 swap is still a much better solution, but I'd take a D50 over 2WD any day.