lots of smoke under heavy acceleration

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Advancing has nothing to do with the amount of fuel delivered at any given time. Do you have the "moose" pump? If so, I believe they push more fuel and require a turbo and even better with an intercooler to run right. Or is yours the baby moose? Then that is factory fuel specs and you should leave it alone!!! In regards to the fuel screw,

yea, baby moose

Exekiel69

Reaction score
If You bought it from conestoga diesel then You can also have it timed there, Mel (owner) does it all the time. How long ago did You get that IP?
Like the other members said don't play with the fuel until You get a Pyrometer and have it timed.

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If You bought it from conestoga diesel then You can also have it timed there, Mel (owner) does it all the time. How long ago did You get that IP?
Like the other members said don't play with the fuel until You get a Pyrometer and have it timed.

i bought it a few weeks ago. I talked to mel today, he also suggested to take off the prefilter, seems to have helped a bit, but i didnt get a great trest drive with it, just right up and down the road.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run it with no air filter and see if that helps, unless you know the old filter is new with very few miles on it. It won't hurt it for a test ride.

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel also suggested taking out that bowl looking thing in the air filter lid. could someone explain what exactly that does to help with airflow?

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
that is what we call a soup bowl. if you cut along the top edge of it, and remove it from the lid. to get an idea what it does, set the lid onto the intake without the lower portion of the air cleaner. you will see it blocks off some of the intake hole.