Lost turn signals and fan motor at the same time........

Reaction score
Not the ideal way to start the morning.....

I've somehow managed to lose both HVAC control (the fan won't kick on) and the turn signals at the same time. No setting on the HVAC works and the turn signals do nothing. Hazards still work, though. I checked Fuse #1 (15amp, stop/hazard lamp) and it tested good. I also checked Fuse #9 (30amp, Heater: A/C - Heater) and it was fine. Replaced it anyway and no change.

The only other weird issue I had this morning was that, when I touched a button on the stereo (aftermarket), it temporarily killed the screen. It's possible that something in my wiring for the stereo is the root cause, but I've done many many aftermarket stereos and have never had an issue.

Ideas?

Mike

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like you have a short.
disconnect batteries, and run an ohm meter to both of those fuses and ground.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simple one here, Grey/Yellow wire from ignition switch ONLY feeds heater and turn signals and reverse lights..... check for power and check ignition switch for proper alignment or bad switch.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simple one here, Grey/Yellow wire from ignition switch ONLY feeds heater and turn signals and reverse lights..... check for power and check ignition switch for proper alignment or bad switch.

Hmmm, electrical advice from a guy named 'ifrythings' :rotflmao

(kidding!)

Reaction score

So, armed with this awesome information (thanks, btw!), I went out to my truck yesterday at lunch and threw it in reverse. Lights came on. So, then I tried the HVAC and turn signals again. Everything worked just fine. So now it appears I have an INTERMITTENT electrical failure, my favorite kind. I'll probably replace the ignition switch just in case. I have a new one sitting around anyway from another time when I misunderstood the difference between 'ignition switch' and 'lock and tumbler' and ordered the wrong part.

Mike

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Was it really cold the morning that your lights/HVAC quit working? I ask this because I have seen this problem before on ford vehicles made from the 80's to early 90's. If it happens again, try turning your ignition switch back a little bit towards the off position. The tumblers get cold and stick and don't fully return to the run position which will prevent most of your accessories from working.