Loss Prevention

Olds64

Reaction score
As others have said, a manual transmission is probably a big deterrent. Mostly, I just avoid taking my truck to sketchy locales.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Tow truck auto theft is a real world occurrence.
I once saw a Ford mustang with the steering column demolished trying to hot wire it and the drive shaft between the bucket seats.
As far a GP defeat, Once my engine is fired in the morning, it doesn't need GP's again for at least 4 hours after shut off.
I like the double neutral.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the transfer case in neutral idea. As long as your e-brake works. ;-)
Just another idea here.
Hang a cell-serviced trail camera where you park at home. Out of reach.
And have a sign alerting intruders to the camera.
You can get them for $60 (and up). Basic service is @ $10/month.
It alerts your email or cell phone almost immediately if it takes a picture or video and you can download them without having to go to the camera. You can also check the status of the camera (battery level, etc.) remotely.
I put one in the woods here on Sept. 24th and haven't been near it since and it has sent me dozens of pictures (of animals) and it's still going strong on the AA batteries even though it's been below freezing temps. most of the time. You can also get a solar panel for it to avoid needing batteries.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Install a Parking Brake on the Drive Line at the back of the Transmission like some trucks have in addition to your factory set up.

That is one thing 99% of people don`t know exist.

Goat

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Things I have considered...

Download and print a LoJack manual and leave it on the dash.

It's alternate use is a handy pad of scratch paper .

Wire horn relay thru switch to brake circuit,

A little relay hidden to open the FSS solenoid when the backup lights come on.

Or maybe if I gotta put it in Park to start, tie into that circuit so if I put it out if Park, it kills VSS along with power to the start motor control relay. You can start it, but the moment you shift it out of Park, the engine dies. Looks useful for times I want to leave the engine running without me there for a few minutes

Things I am afraid to do...

Block fuel supply. I understand running the IP dry may ruin it as it relies on fuel for it's lubricant.

Screwing with the vacuum or steering, which causes the thief to lose control and have an accident, which will be blamed on me, the costs incurred could be far greater than my machine is worth.

Wire an old Ford coil to the FSS circuit and run the spark line, raw, between the seat foam and cover on the driver's side.

Last edited:

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Just to toss it out there as a consideration, a buddy of mine once got his Honda stolen. His cruise control didn't work, so he wired the starter signal circuit through the factory cruise switch, so you had to press the resume/accel button to get it to actually crank.
May be an option to do something similar with an already factory button on our trucks, like maybe wire it to a dash mounted O/D switch... Even if you have a manual.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noiseydiesel mentioned in post#9...
"Staying out of Portland is another good idea."

Don`t worry about them stealing it, they will just burn it to the ground.

How about hooking up some sort of smoke bomb under the truck, that will make them run.

Goat

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've said it before, but I leave the key in the ignition and the doors unlocked. If they can figure out how to crank it up and make it move they deserve a ride! As far as stealing stuff, what are they going to take? My christian rock CDs? Some gospel tracts that tell them to repent of their sin and turn to Jesus? Hey maybe they'll steal my rims, that are only worth $$$ to people who post on this forum. As long as you don't drive a less than 15yr old common vehicle, you should be legit. I could imagine someone stealing my 86 bronco...... how are you going to be discreet in a red and white bullnose bronco with a stroked 302 followed by flowmasters. I'd be concerned if I drove a Honda Accord, but old rusty trucks....... not so much.

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JF, you are spot on. For proof, See the video from a couple of days ago when a couple of kids in Minneapolis stole a late model Kia mini-van and drove it off an overpass.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online