Looking at this 96 F250 4wd 5spd

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've been trying to get into position to make a serious play on this truck (money). The asking price is only $2,000,which you can't beat with a large stick. It has 185k miles. I've done a walk around, but haven't gotten it started or drove yet (dead batteries) but it looks tight.
The problems I know of, from the walk around and the (original) owner are a bent driver side tie rod, fairly minor body damage, and fuel/ oil leaks.
The owner is of duck hunting until the end of the season (2 weeks) so I won't be able to buy it for a bit, however his wife said I was more welcome to come over and poke around on it and throw a battery on and start it up. they are being very cool about it and no pressure. It would appear it's just a case of they don't need the truck or the money.
Mostly I'm just sharing this (because you guys actually understand what it feels like looking at/ wanting a truck lol),but I well ask what do you guys think I should look at and poke while I have this opportunity? I figure I am going to buy it unless something devastating shows up when I go to start it. Like I said, can't beat the price.
You must be registered for see images

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if i were you, i would do whatever it takes to make that cash before you do ANYTHING
that is a total deal. personally, i wouldnt touch a mans truck without him there, even tho the wife said it was ok.
when he gets home, bring the cash, the batteries, and a scanner.
get it to fire, and do a cyl contribution and a buzz test. most other codes will be minor.
and if you dont like what you see, you still have 2k in your pocket.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You won't start it with "a" battery; you'll need two. Or two pairs of jumper cables, or jumper cables plus a jump pack. But a running 5-speed 4x4 is easily worth twice that, even as icky dirty as that truck is. Sheet metal may be clean, but look for REAL rust - frame, spring / shock hangers, perches, etc., and of course the rad core support. All that, er, foliage next to the passenger side valve cover makes me think you can expect to find a mouse nest in the valley (and possibly more elsewhere).

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a mouse running around the interior, which cause me concern for electrical wires.
I can go ahead and get two new batteries to put on it. Even if I don't buy this truck I can drop them in my IDI. I do have the cash, actually $4000 set aside for it with the idea of fixing it if I bought it, and I'd put new batteries in it.
Can you point me in the right direction on scanning these trucks. I've learned IDI, but this would be an OBD2 scan job, right?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct. I use a snapon solus. I stole it. But you can ci d then for about a grand. IMO A MUST HAVE FOR A PSD

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn....I've gotten that impression but if I did that now it'd be my tires money. And, of course, a very expensive tool I've no use for if I don't get it.
I don't argue against it being the best, but is the a good alternative for the pre-purchase testing? Would a scan at Autozone/ O,Reilly be sufficient?

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, I've been talking to the guy for a month about it but I didn't want to waste his time until I could be serious about buying it. He did give his blessing about me looking at it while he was hunting.
He retired the truck because diesel got real expensive a few years back and bought a gasser F250. Positively, he is a Ford guy.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no, those vatozone specials will not talk with our trucks.
if i were you, not that i know you have his blessing, i would fire the truck up.
then go to all the local shops and see what they would charge for a mobile scan.
may be a couple of hundred bucks. just chalk it up to the price of the truck and a piece of mind.
i waited to find a good deal on a scanner. you may not need it for awhile, but the next time you need a scan be prepared to pay for just a scan. some may do it for free, but
time is money.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your in somewhat of warm weather, one fully charged battery will start it. Just inspect the wiring for bare spots. If it starts, run it around, you'll soon see if anything is wrong. At 2K it's a hell'va buy.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's about 45 and sunny right now but was in the low 30s last night. Supposed to be warm for the next week.
I figure if it starts and runs and the 4wd works, which the owner claims, I can't get hurt at $2k

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If you have a android you can get torque pro and car gauge pro to run the contribution and buzz tests, plus read the codes.
Only real set back is buying a good Bluetooth adapter. About $30 for a good one, torque pro and car gauge pro are about $5/$7.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a android you can get torque pro and car gauge pro to run the contribution and buzz tests, plus read the codes.
Only real set back is buying a good Bluetooth adapter. About $30 for a good one, torque pro and car gauge pro are about $5/$7.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

^^ this

Got my adapter on Amazon. Granted I use a different app on an iPhone (and haven't used it on a psd), but it's a nice starting point when you don't have a good scanner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a 1995 truck ("S" in the VIN), built in Kansas City ("K"). Two-tone is factory (no surprise).

Another comm option is AutoEnginuity.