Looking at this 96 F250 4wd 5spd

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can the water pump and T Stat be changed to the later model version. I assume they're superior. Any faults with these early parts I need to be aware of.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water pump difference isn't worth the trouble of swapping. If you're gonna replace the water pump for an "upgrade", your best choice would be the International pump with the built-in coolant filter base. Otherwise, if the water pump is good, it'll serve your purposes fine. We have two '95s, with 97,000 and 170,000 miles respectively, both on the original water pumps.

Bottom line, at the asking price, you're stealing that truck, esp. if it starts and runs.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very true. I'm not really concerned in that way, add long as it starts and runs. I'm just trying to get an idea of what I'm getting into.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by "blanks out"? It's blank with the key OFF. Does it display briefly, then go blank again?

Are you getting a WTS light? Watch the CE light when you turn the key to RUN. Does it blink briefly (it's REAL short, like < 1/4 second)?

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a light that blinks super fast,yes. The battery light stays on and the battery dummy gauge read just at N in Normal. Odometer is on but when I turn the key to start it the odometer blanks out.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would have to go start mine, but I think the odometer going off in the start position is normal.
Also if I remember right, the battery light will stay on until started.
So the wait to start light comes on?
Did you try jumping the started solenoid on the fender?

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
So does sound like the starter.
Either try whacking it with a hammer, or check the connections down there.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk