Looking at this 96 F250 4wd 5spd

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bad, it was manufactured in 95 so I figured it'd be a 96 model. Still an OBD2, correct? I can't recall offhand when OBD2 came out

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
None of our trucks are standard OBD-II. Late '95 should be flashed to the latest Ford Enhanced protocol, though, like the '96 and '97 trucks. So the usual retinue of products (Snap-On, AE, Aeroforce, Torque Pro) should communicate with it.

Model year is based on the VIN. It's not always the year after the mfg date, nor is it always the same as the mfg date. Generally, they shut down the plants for model year changeover in late July or early August. But some vehicles, some years, they do very early rollouts. The Mustang hit the showrooms April 17, 1964 as a 1965 car; probably were rolling out of the factory as early as February or March.

The '95s do have a few differences vs. the '96-'97, but at that price, it's still a steal.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, the oil was dark and just below the hatching (it is known to have oil leaks) but the oil was not gritty. It is a diesel, though, right?

On these trucks how low is the oil just outside out the hatching, roughly?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That's good. Autoenginuity is the best one, imo.
Just not realistic for some. Especially if you're not totally set on buying the truck.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Oh, the oil was dark and just below the hatching (it is known to have oil leaks) but the oil was not gritty. It is a diesel, though, right?

On these trucks how low is the oil just outside out the hatching, roughly?

About a quart or three low.

Don't worry about running a Powerstroke low on oil... it's literally impossible to hurt them by doing so (or if it has ever happened, I've certainly never heard of it). If the low pressure pump can't supply the high pressure pump (HPOP), then the engine can't run. So, it will actually shut itself down before it can do any damage due to low oil levels.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The '95s do have a few differences vs. the '96-'97, but at that price, it's still a steal.

That statement makes it sound lie a bad thing, or, at least, a disadvantage. Care to elaborate?
I had run across that information before but I don't remember anything specific. I would have preferred a 96. Lol

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would say 94/95 vs 95-97.
Early trucks had the idi radiator with a cap.
Later trucks had a newer cap less radiator with a degas type tank.
Later should also be somewhat obd2 compatible.

That's all I can think of right now.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
None of our trucks are standard OBD-II. Late '95 should be flashed to the latest Ford Enhanced protocol, though, like the '96 and '97 trucks. So the usual retinue of products (Snap-On, AE, Aeroforce, Torque Pro) should communicate with it.

Model year is based on the VIN. It's not always the year after the mfg date, nor is it always the same as the mfg date. Generally, they shut down the plants for model year changeover in late July or early August. But some vehicles, some years, they do very early rollouts. The Mustang hit the showrooms April 17, 1964 as a 1965 car; probably were rolling out of the factory as early as February or March.

my 97 was built 12/97, maybe one of the last of the OBS.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's good. Autoenginuity is the best one, imo.
Just not realistic for some. Especially if you're not totally set on buying the truck.

x2 - AE has saved me thousands vs trips to the dealer over the years.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About a quart or three low.

Don't worry about running a Powerstroke low on oil... it's literally impossible to hurt them by doing so (or if it has ever happened, I've certainly never heard of it). If the low pressure pump can't supply the high pressure pump (HPOP), then the engine can't run. So, it will actually shut itself down before it can do any damage due to low oil levels.

While this is true I'd wonder about cooking the turbo if oil pressure got low enough before self shutdown.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
That statement makes it sound lie a bad thing, or, at least, a disadvantage. Care to elaborate?
I had run across that information before but I don't remember anything specific. I would have preferred a 96. Lol

Buy it. Its worth the price.

Differences. 94.5 and 95.

Programming, water pump, T stat. and the radiator 94.5 & early 95. Late 95 the cooling system was changed to a degas bottle. No cap on the radiator.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
While this is true I'd wonder about cooking the turbo if oil pressure got low enough before self shutdown.

I wouldn't worry about this. You would have to let this happen many times before any damage could happen.

Most of the time a T444E (PSD) wont start with extremely low oil level. If and when it starts the engine runs like a complete ****. Usually around seven quarts to have this happen.