Looking at buying a 92 7.3 IDI how well will it tow?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my truck has a chamblered muffler. i cant hear the engine or turbo. as soon as i fix this oil leak i can get oil off of everything so i can get a straight thru muffler installed. thought about straight pipe but California doesnt consider a turbo a muffler
I went with one of those straight-through glass-pack type(3" pipe), and it definitely worked well enough. Quieted it down a bit on my '88 with Banks. It was... obnoxiously loud with nothing on it.

Oddly enough, my '93 with factory turbo and full 2.5" exhaust(but no muffler)... doesn't sound bad at all. It's not obnoxiously loud. You can definitely hear it, and I might put a straight-through muffler on it before running it at 2500RPM for hours on end like I did this summer, but as long as you are only going 2200 or so, it's not annoying.

Keith Krawczyk

Reaction score
Well think your choice of trucks will be good as long as you stick with those guidelines. Especially the last four words. Even if you don't end up with the IDI, you don't have to leave the forum. We're really not that picky here.
Ive always veen a ford guy i have nothing but fir trucks and run nothing but ford tractors.

Keith Krawczyk

Reaction score
I've towed an IH 856 (over 10,000) with my 1983 6.9 4 spd 3.55 rears and it towed it fine. Total weight about 20,000lbs. I didn't go over 50 mph. Keep in mind it will tow it fine, you just aren't going to get anywhere fast. I'm in eastern NC and it's flat!!! Going up Fancy Gap you will probably be in the truck lane.
Yea im just outside of charlotte and my family has a farm just above fancy gap in hillsville

Keith Krawczyk

Reaction score
I have found a 97 PSD with a servixe body on it i'm going to look at it has a crate eng8ne installed with 50k on it. Asking $5k. Might be a better option still not decided

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats my worry that if its had to have a new engine installed the truck is shot. But wont really know until i go look

If you do not already know, most trucks with service bodies are cab and chassis trucks. Nothing wrong with that unless you plan on putting a pickup bed on it. A pickup bed will not fit a cab and chassis truck. The cab and chassis trucks are different in the frames behind the cab and the rearends are a oddball width. You can certainly keep the service body on it, or build a flatbed for it.

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do not already know, most trucks with service bodies are cab and chassis trucks. Nothing wrong with that unless you plan on putting a pickup bed on it. A pickup bed will not fit a cab and chassis truck. The cab and chassis trucks are different in the frames behind the cab and the rearends are a oddball width. You can certainly keep the service body on it, or build a flatbed for it.

I’d only worry that if it’s a heavier rated Truck. Pretty much any f250-350 with a service body is going to be a standard frame.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I’d only worry that if it’s a heavier rated Truck. Pretty much any f250-350 with a service body is going to be a standard frame.

Incorrect, the only way that happens is as follows:
Our local R/O water company buys new white pickups (whatever they want) every 3 years, pull off beds, put on service bodies, after 3 years, pull off service bodies, put on factory beds, sell trucks, buy new.
Normally it's this way:
Our local electrical company leases new fleet trucks on a rotating basis, all F-250s and F-350s, all single cab diesel C&C, put on their own service body, after lease is up, pull off service body, give back truck, lease new, put on service body.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our local R/O water company buys new white pickups (whatever they want) every 3 years, pull off beds, put on service bodies, after 3 years, pull off service bodies, put on factory beds, sell trucks, buy new.
Normally it's this way:
Our local electrical company leases new fleet trucks on a rotating basis, all F-250s and F-350s, all single cab diesel C&C, put on their own service body, after lease is up, pull off service body, give back truck, lease new, put on service body.

They must make service bodies that fit on pickup frames? Did not know that they could be bought that way.

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normally it's this way:

Again incorrect. They may have service bodies but they’re all still standard frame f250’s -350’s. Unless you get an e-350-450 box Truck 90%of f250-350’s are going to be a standard frame even with a utility bed

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normally it's this way:

Just show me an f250 with a straight frame cab n chassis setup

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
damn sounds like you made a bomb out of it.

my truck has a chamblered muffler. i cant hear the engine or turbo. as soon as i fix this oil leak i can get oil off of everything so i can get a straight thru muffler installed. thought about straight pipe but California doesnt consider a turbo a muffler
outside of DOT reasons, why are you worried about kali interested on looking at your truck with a muffler? i've been straight piped on the Nostromo since 2004, and noone even looks twice at me.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
They must make service bodies that fit on pickup frames? Did not know that they could be bought that way.

I know Knapheide does, we have one at work

Just show me an f250 with a straight frame cab n chassis setup

https://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/Ford-F250-Cab-Chassis-For-Sale/search-results?category=Cab+Chassis|2000881&make=ford|2310392&model=f250|764865616

Ahhhhhh..... the power of Google.........
I didn't even have to get up! LOL