Looking at buying a 92 7.3 IDI how well will it tow?

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by Keith Krawczyk, Jan 11, 2018.

1. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

Well think your choice of trucks will be good as long as you stick with those guidelines. Especially the last four words. Even if you don't end up with the IDI, you don't have to leave the forum. We're really not that picky here.

2. 79jasper

79jasper Chickenhawk

Yup. Or even just the relay. Easy to jump across too.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

jwalterus likes this.
  3. Cubey

Cubey Full Access Member

I exploded a cheap muffler wide open on a Mopar 360 after the carburetor flooded for some reason and gas got into the muffler. The engine barely had power while driving it to a muffler shop. The new muffler returned it to normal.

4. Eason

Eason Full Access Member

I've towed an IH 856 (over 10,000) with my 1983 6.9 4 spd 3.55 rears and it towed it fine. Total weight about 20,000lbs. I didn't go over 50 mph. Keep in mind it will tow it fine, you just aren't going to get anywhere fast. I'm in eastern NC and it's flat!!! Going up Fancy Gap you will probably be in the truck lane.

Trevtron likes this.
  5. Macrobb

Macrobb Full Access Member

N/A performance is... OK. Totally possible to haul 8k, but not fast up hills. Add a turbo and crank the fuel to match, and you'll pull that 8k trailer 65 up a 6% grade.

morgankshaw likes this.
  6. Pork_Chop50

Pork_Chop50 He looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me.... Supporting Member

If you're after a manual 4 door one ton that works well I would advise against anything with the 5.8 or 6.8 v10 with 3 valves per cylinder. The 5.8 is a bit disappointing in terms of power and I haven't seen the 3 valve Fords hold up long term. But the 5.4 with a manual and the right gears surprisingly does well.

7. jwalterus

jwalterus Made in America

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

8. FordIDIot

FordIDIot Supporting Member Supporting Member

damn sounds like you made a bomb out of it.

my truck has a chamblered muffler. i cant hear the engine or turbo. as soon as i fix this oil leak i can get oil off of everything so i can get a straight thru muffler installed. thought about straight pipe but California doesnt consider a turbo a muffler

9. catbird7

catbird7 Full Access Member

Realizing I haven't driven one of these for as long as some folks on here. I've been driving an IDI since 2004 and formed the following opinion, many trucks will outrun an IH IDI (with or without a turbo), however there's far fewer capable of outlasting them. They're a simple yet very durable design offering cost effective repair & maintenance + decent fuel mileage. Following the advice and recommendations found on this website, dollar for dollar they're difficult to beat.

chillman88 and Eason like this.
  10. BrianX128

BrianX128 Supporting Member Supporting Member

I've got a straight six with a 4sp and 3.73 gears 4x4 and a 5 speed with 3.08 gears 4x4. The idi is for sure an upgrade in towing but it's all about the gearing. I can't get anywhere fast in any of them even my 5 speed idi with 4.10 gears but.....

People underestimate the old straight sixes. A 4 speed with no temptation of overdrive to shift into and 4.10 gears if you have a t18 is pretty stout and an idi isn't exactly gonna be totally out classing that. First gear on the t18 with 410s might actually give you better takeoff ability.

11. FordIDIot

FordIDIot Supporting Member Supporting Member

ya ups trucks used the 300... also a f350 could be ordered with a 300, 351, 460, 444 no 302 option

12. Thewespaul

Thewespaul Supporting Member Supporting Member

I fixed a wheel bearing that exploded on one of our chippers on the side of the highway, pulled it back to the shop once I was done. The chipper is 8600lbs dry and I did 65 up a decent grade no problem, just had to drop into 4th and keep the rpms up.
    467F9B9A-7E41-4219-A744-E0AA53A89432.jpeg

These trucks na can pull pretty well especially a healthy engine. My truck has some upgrades but also has over 250k miles. If you know how to pull a load and row your gears a NA idi does pretty damn good. If you need more power used turbo kits are cheap.

Runningaford, Cubey and nostrokes like this.
  13. Sidewinded_idi

Sidewinded_idi Full Access Member

That trucks a beauty!

14. nostrokes

nostrokes Full Access Member

My 91 auto, turbo and 4.10:1 gears gets up and moves fairly decent with a loaded trailer behind. Doesn't get the greatest MPG, 15 empty is all I can muster, but that's the trade off for good towing ability. Like everyone says a few upgrades and you'll love it, and they are dependable.

15. Eason

Eason Full Access Member

And the best thing about them is you can usually get an option that you can't get on a newer truck. The title!!!