Longevity of add on gear splitters??

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
My experience with the DNe2 as far as the shifting clunk goes, is that is much louder when you rev to 3000 RPM then shift as opposed to say 2300-2500 RPM. And if you really want to hear a loud grind/bang, flash the clutch before the motor has pre-loaded the shift.:eek:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Dont mean to kill the thread, just a question.

Is there any chance the Brownie can work with an Auto?

THeoretically, you could use one behind an auto box if you just wanted to use it as a range selector as in to leave it in one range to give a specific final drive and you'd have to stop to shift it, giving the advantage of a taller rear end for cruising highway mileage and the lower gears to save overheateaing the torque converter in tight situations.
only exception being a 7000P series , P being pneumatic shift ( air shift ), which operate on a preselect shift very similar to a 2 speed axle or one of the dual range/ doug nash units . I do know that those units shift while the main box is still engaged without a problem with just some throttle feathering, so in theory one could be shifted while still in gear in an automatic
The hard part would be finding one. My original plan was to find a 4 speed air shift box so it would be easier for my wife to drive and easier to run linkages, but I gave up after 2 years searching, only air shift models left out there are twin countershaft jobs ( in abundance ) but they are WAY too heavy and would eat up too much torque

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a good way to compare the GV and the USG, is to think of the differences in complexity and advantages between an automatic trans, and a manual trans and apply them in kind. The GV uses planetary gears like an automatic, has hydraulics like an automatic, and friction surfaces that can wear out like an automatic. The USG is a good ol' gear box. Nothing fancy about it. However, you can power shift a GV (like an automatic does), where as you cannot with a USG. The USG can be used in 4X4, and consequently comes with the additional difficulties of installation (2 drive shaft mods and associated expense, possible cross member interference, fuel tank interference, and if you have a problem with it, extra work to remove it. The GV is by far easier to install and maintain. I agree that GV is not that parts friendly. It would be nice if they had someone like BTS out there, to give them a run for their service dollar, but they are the only game in town at the moment, and we all know what monopoly's are like. Reliable, but expensive.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If money for labor and mods was not a problem and you had the room without hacking the heck out of you truck that is, i would take the us gear unit. I had one in a 87 6.9 turbo 4 speed and loved it but all of the cross members and even the fuel tanks had to be extensively modified because it was a regular cab 4x4.

No with that being said one of the new production(if they even exist) us gear units would be nice to have in my m715 build behind the 6.9 turbo and zf