Locking Hubs/4 wheel drive

WrecklesCustom

First Timer
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me locking hubs? How to properly utilize the 4 wheel drive in my truck and how to switch in and out of 4 wheel drive.

Sorry for the novice question!

DragRag

Reaction score
Manual locking hubs have a switch you turn on them to engage them. Auto locking will lock and unlock when you shift in and out of 4x4 on your transfer case. Do you have manual selectors on your hubs? If not, then you have auto locking hubs. If you want to switch to manual from auto locking any ttb50 or dana 60 hubs will work on your truck. Or you could throw a dana 60 up front with manual hubs and be done with it.

WrecklesCustom

First Timer
Reaction score
I believe I have manual hubs, because they have selectors in the middle of the hubs.

So to switch to 4 wheel drive I switch into "lock" and then throw it into 4 high/low inside the cab with the gear selector?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just remember manual hubs lock with rolling foward gently before they lock in place and when you unlock, you need to be just a gentle too or you may face a ruined weekend.:eek:

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
Its also a good idea to clean the hubs and regrease them or have it done if you dont feel you can do it yourself. Your down in san fran, you should make it over to one of the get togethers at towcat's and we can give you all kinds of help and pointers. He will only make you clean the restrooms the first couple times... but the foods really good.

also make sure that you not only put it in and take it out of 4x4 every so often ( to allow everything to "work" and move the grease around a bit, but also dont use 4x4 on pavement unless you REALLY need it. Its ment for low traction situations that would allow the tires to "slip" some and keep the axles from binding up.

Get in an empty parking lot. lock the hubs. put it in 4 hi in the cab and drive forward slowly (10-15 mph) then turn pretty sharp, you will feel the steering wheel and front end "fighting" you. thats the 4x4 working. Be sure to take it back out and back up a few feet after unlocking the hubs, before returning to driving at speed.

punk

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you find yourself in a situation that "may" require 4 wheel drive, you can lock the hubs and leave the t-case in 2wd until necessary. If you are driving on the road in say a snow storm with the hubs locked and the case in 2wd, you can shift into 4 hi without slowing or stopping as long as you aren't spinning your rear tires. NEVER try to shift into 4 wheel while in motion if your hubs are not locked already, or if you have auto hubs. In either of these situations, you must come to a stop before you make your t-case selection. You can use 4lo with manual hubs unlocked if you find yourself trying to back a trailer into a tight spot, or just need deep gearing to move something. You can do this on dry pavement without worry, just don't try to shift into high while moving.
Travis..

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me add to this since we don't know what trans you have, but it is likely a C6 based on your sig.

Here are some rules to live by

1) - Engage and disengage your hubs when you are in 2WD ONLY. Do not try to operate your locking hubs when you have shifted to 4WD HI or LO.

2) - Do not drive in 4WD HI or LO when you are on a surface that does not allow at least one tire to break traction.

3) - When shifting between 4WD HI and 4WD LO, you MUST be in PARK with no drive line binding. In other words, shift to neutral, apply the parking brake, release the service brake, make sure you don't roll, and put it in Park*.

*If you don't do this, you may be forced to shut off the engine to get it in or out of any 4WD position. The reason for this - Transfer case Neutral is between these two positions. As soon as you take it out of 4HI or 4LO, if the transmission is in gear, or possibly even neutral, the transfer case input shaft will start spinning while the transfer case is in neutral, and you'll hear a terrible gear grinding noise if you try to engage any transfer case position. If you try and put the trans in park at this point, more ugly grinding will result from the parking pawl beating itself senseless on a spinning output shaft.

DragRag

Reaction score
Shifting to 4 low works fine in Neutral also without going to park. Did it yesterday at my property, no grind, works smooth. I always use neutral as a matter of fact rather then going to park. You can shift on the fly also from 2 hi to 4 high, you must stop though to get it into low.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its also a good idea to clean the hubs and regrease them or have it done if you don't feel you can do it yourself.

I am not sure I agree with the grease thing, especially if you live somewhere where it gets very cold. The grease tends to get stiff and won't let the hub work in cold weather. Wd40 or possibly a light oil is the most lube I would put in the hub area.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Also, For someone reading this and has a newer vehicle with ESOF 4x4. My Ex will not shift into 4lo unless I am at a complete stop and have the trans in neutral. I have tried to shift into 4lo in park and it will not change, I can go to 4hi with the trans in any "gear" but it will only go in and out of 4lo in neutral and not moving (foot on brake). I will double check the OM to make sure this is not just a quirk with mine.....

NoDaK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure I agree with the grease thing, especially if you live somewhere where it gets very cold. The grease tends to get stiff and won't let the hub work in cold weather. Wd40 or possibly a light oil is the most lube I would put in the hub area.

wd40 is a terrible lubricant. its actually a solvent. i would gander to say i live in the coldest part of the country. my hubs are greased and i have NO problems with them.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried to list those rules as a catch all. That's not to say that some people won't get away with it, but in general if you follow those rules you can't go wrong. It certainly wasn't written with any kind of electronic shift in mind, since IDI's didn't have that. My Ex wouldn't shift unless it was in neutral also, which is what the manual tells you that you must do.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
How does one go about regreasing the hubs? My truck seems to have a lot of gear noise when the hubs are locked, and gets louder the faster i go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger