Like Apollo 13

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember how they were trying to figure out a way to restart the command module without drawing more than so many amps? LOL That's me today. Noticed this morning that the Moosestang wasn't charging. All the way to work with headlights and heater fan running, and now I'll have to restart a cold truck, and do the same to get back home. Hope the batts hold up. A new Alternator and regulator will be picked up for change out tonight. Figures. My spare vehicle is gone a week, and now the fix or repair daily strikes. I know it's the alternator. I went out and full-fielded it at lunch time, so I'm already down 1 start.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
when it rains it poars, i can personally attest to that more times than i care to remember. i have had multiple vehicle fine for months then all break down on the same day:rolleyes: :shoot:

at least you know what it is

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Agnem said:
Remember how they were trying to figure out a way to restart the command module without drawing more than so many amps? LOL That's me today.

Isn't that number 2 for ya here lately Mel?
Just gotta do it, are the flowers blooming in Delta?:rotflmao
The cold air aint gonna help ya none.
As the soup **** would say......"No Tom Saywer for you!"LOL
I'd trade ya an alt chnge for a ujoint change.:D

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the Ford external regulators though. Those things are cheap, and small enough to have a good half-dozen kicking around your shop :) Just like DuraSpark modules..... can never have enough of those!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Geez... If all you had to do was start it then you could do that for some time. It also does not take much battery to just run it down the road either. Now having to use the heater and lights will run it down in a hurry. Sorry. Maybe if you could follow a friend you could turn down or off the lights. Don't use the radio or the dash lites if you can avoid them. The heater "could" be turned off too. Its only for a short time I hope. If you need the defrost for the windshield then its going to really cost you. When its on the ac pump is running because sometime in the early 70s the industry found out the "dry" air from it defrosted the windshield faster that the hot moist heat. It still has heat in it but its a dry heat that removes the frosted window better. Dry paper will defrost the windshield too. Use news print. Its laying around in the lunch room I'll bet.:D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got it started and home just fine. About 10 miles down the road the crazy thing started charging again. I suspect a brush was getting hung up in the alternator. Well, I can't complain because that alternator was installed last summer (yes, this is the second non-charging event in less than a year) and came from a parts truck, so I had no idea how old it was or how many miles were on it. So last night I put in a new rebuilt unit with a new belt, a new Motorcraft voltage regulator (now made in the glorious Peoples Republic of China), and a new pig tail to replace the corroded connections on the voltage regulator plug. Doing all that made me appreciate the serp belt. Sure is time consuming wresting with 4 belts when your only trying to change one. I'm hoping that will be the end of my electrical problems for many years.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did the pigtail come from Ford? How much did they want for it?

I've had constant problems with my VR plug...some of the plastic cracked, so one or two of the wires keep wanting to pop out of the plastic. I wrapped the whole thing in electrical tape as a semi-temporary measure, but didn't think the plug was available new...

Thanks!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did the pigtail come from Ford? How much did they want for it?

I've had constant problems with my VR plug...some of the plastic cracked, so one or two of the wires keep wanting to pop out of the plastic. I wrapped the whole thing in electrical tape as a semi-temporary measure, but didn't think the plug was available new...

Thanks!
tim-
go hit a competent auto parts store in the area and check out the JT&T rack. the replacement connectors w/pigtails are on the rack.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, I got it from my Ford dealer, but I don't think it was a Motorcraft item.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That pig tail is an easy find in the pick-a-part wrecking yard. Just find a ford product that has that type alt vr and clip it off. P.S. They fit inside your pocket too.....:D

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wear the right pair of coveralls, and you can get quite a bit to fit in your pocket :angel:

Good to know they're readily available ;Sweet although my experience with "previously-loved" plastic items leans me towards just buying it new...

Thanks! :cool

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
We kept them on three different racks, Help (motormite), Dorman and I can't remember the last one, Cable something or other - I put it in as I was telling the newer, bible thumping hypocritical owner to go screw himself...anyway, we had em and most stores do. I would guess even AZ or Advance might keep them.

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
I finally got around to replacing my alt and reg on my truck last month. It wasn't charging very well. Well, the new one was draining the batteries overnight. So, took both back and got new new ones. Charges much better but still draining batteries overnight. The old setup did not drain. Haven't been able to figure this one out and it has been too damn cold, icy (4") to go play with it. Any suggustions? OkieGringo

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online